System not shutting down properly

Closed
kogunmola Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen August 3, 2016 - Aug 3, 2016 at 06:41 AM
Monicadawson Posts 29 Registration date Thursday July 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2016 - Aug 3, 2016 at 07:59 AM
hello,
MY dell inspirion n1510 is shutting down but the power light/led is always on until i have to press and hold down for some seconds before it will finally off or still when there is no more power on the system. i have reinstall it operating system several time but is desame result, please what can i do to correct this.

1 response

Monicadawson Posts 29 Registration date Thursday July 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2016
Aug 3, 2016 at 07:59 AM
Computer does not shut down properly if Selective Suspend is enabled.
This is probably due to a problem related to the power management (APM: Advanced Power Management).
To handle this problem, we must first ensure that the APM is enabled in the BIOS of the computer, and then enable it under Windows:
Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/ View/ Show Hidden Devices
Then look for the NT APM/Legacy Interface Node and activate it.
Or:
Control Panel> Power Options> APM> See that box is checked.
Otherwise, you may install the new device with the Windows wizard.

Then
Start, Run, type "regedit"
Type Ctrl + F
Search "PowerDownAfterShutDown"
Set its value to 1 and restart the computer.

The easy fix is to power off the system. pull the ac power to the mb so that the power good led drains. then use the clear cmos. then go in and reset back to factory defaults (f5) save and exit. go into windows and it should shut down fine. if the error is gone..go back and reset your ram speed to the xmp profile.