Explorer dont start at login

Solved/Closed
phaw - May 1, 2009 at 03:03 AM
 REHAN ANJUM - Jul 31, 2010 at 04:19 AM
Hello,
my explorer doesnt start automatically when I log in, its just blank, but if start task manager and run explorer.exe, it runs... I already try creating a shortcut to explorer.exe and put it on start up but it still not run when I login... I always keep doing the same thing when I login....."start the explorer.exe in to task manager" please help, any helpfull tips would be much appreciated......thanks :)

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
May 1, 2009 at 05:57 PM
It looks like you have some damage to the registry - resulting in the desktop not being built during startup. I suggest you go to this site and download script 195 (Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar) It will put back the missing registry items. Follow his instructions carefully. Good Luck
hi xpcman, cud you pliz be specific of the site...im not really verygood in computer and I found no link to download script 195, can I have the url instead... plizzzzzz
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
May 3, 2009 at 12:12 PM
thanks alot man it really worked good ...........i am all the way in the virgin islands
Run regedit from the task manager, and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Locate the shell entry in the right pane and double click it. Replace the
contents with just:

explorer.exe

eg: "Shell"="Explorer.exe" as a key

Accept changes, restart, and all should be good