RJ45 to wireless receiver

Solved/Closed
mlstyles - Jun 2, 2008 at 05:50 PM
 LeadFoodAnnie - Sep 3, 2010 at 03:32 PM
Hello,
My DirecTV receiver says the only way I can receive OnDemand content with my wireless network is to have an RJ45 cable plugged into a wireless receiver. I've never heard of such a thing and Googled it to death with no success. Is DirecTV just completely crazy, or is there such a thing? Where would I find one?

9 responses

$79.99 for a wireless DirecTV interface is "reasonable"...to whom? Way too much!!!! I can buy router for that price.
Chuck, I have a wireless router and am hoping that I can connect a laptop to my Directv receiver.. the laptop is connect wireless to the router and the router to the internet... I can't see why this won't work, but am hoping that maybe you or someone can confirm that it does indeed work..

A direct reply would be great.. to the email above.

Thanks

Charlie Davenport
Wireless Dude
Feb 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM
You need to price some wireless bridges. That is what is needed, not a USB wireless adapter. Bridges cost about $80 or more, on average.
Well, First, Consider yourself luck. I JUST ordered Direct TV and they installed it yesterday. The installer went over everything including the part about connecting my network to the CAT5 connector on the back. I said, fine and he left. (I ddn't question him as I am technically proficient...[Former IBM field technician from 1983-1989] so "No biggie", I either run a cat5 over to the box or get an access point for my wireless network. (Actually, I had a "B" Linksys in the closet somewhere) BUT, Being the speed deamon that I am preferred to run a cat 5 from my hub over to the box which meant, Holes, Drilling, hiding wires (the wife can't stand wire running avound the house..Why did she marry a tech?). Anyway, With all holes drilled, Wires "neatly" run, Cat 5 cable terminated nicely, Found an open port on my hub, Plugged it in and then went looking for the port on the cable box........NO PORT !!!! I figured there must be some mistake so I called DT tech support. Thier answer:

OH! You have a DR16 model, The DR20 is the only version that accepts an internet connection. Ok says I, This iss a brand new install, WHY do I have a DR16 if the DR20 is newer. The young, abrasive tech said. "Luck of the draw!" Installers carry different boxes, You happen to hae gotten a DR16.....Ok, Again says I, How do I get a DR20. His reply.....GO BUY ONE AT BEST BUY OR SOMEWHERE. I asked politely, I can't get it swapped out. His reply....NOPE. I then asked politely, Would you check to see if the extended warranty covers my DVR should it stop working. He said yes..You signed up for a year. So I aksed, And it covers ONSITE REPAIR should the DVR should it stop working? He said yes....I said Thank you and hung up......I figure I'll give it a week or two before the DVR stops working. When the tech comes for repair, I'll climb right in the back of his truck and HAND PICK my replacment.

BTW, My name is Dave. If you need any help connecting that DVR drop me an email at sales [at] grand-resorts.org. And yes, A cheap "B" class linksys wireless access point works fine for this setup. Just make sure to get an ACCESS POINT not a ROUTER. You'd be wasting your money and would have to disable the router portion anyway!!!

=Dave=
Retired SW Engineer
Sep 7, 2009 at 10:34 PM
You had some great, and witty, info there. But, you didn't mention whether or not you tried the wireless connection. I have wireless in my house: desktops, laptops, printer; and, I wonder if I can't just get an ordinary wireless adapter, and plug it into the back of my DVR. Seems like they want you to use a "gaming" adapter, for some unexplained reason. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Dave, I have an extra wireless G router laying around. I think I remember having the option to turn the router into an "access point" instead. Is that correct? If so, have does one go about setting up the extra router to operate as an access point instead?
So I just signed up with DTV and they are going to do the install on Saturday. So I had a few questions that CS could not answer.

1. what kind of wireless adapter does the reciever use? I have a ton of access points, wireless g/n usb adapters, and even a few routers sitting around.

I would assume (not having seen the unit) it had an RJ-45 Ethernet connection on the back. So would a wireless adapter that uses Ethernet work?

2. The directv2pc program works on an internal network. So since I have VPN setup that should allow me to view the TV from anywhere is that not correct?

Thanks for all your help!
I have the same issue. Did you find a solution?
You need a wireless bridge. Check out Linksys' WET54G. It works for this type of setup. I used it and have no regrets.
rj45 cables are your basic high speed internet bable
*CABLE
Here is a link where you can get the Directv Internet connection kit at a reasonable price

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydirectv/cep/myProgrammingKits.jsp

I have successfully installed one on one of my HD DVR's. It was a really quick and easy setup. I am getting ready to purchase a second kit for my other HD DVR.

Good luck!
LeadFoodAnnie
Sep 3, 2010 at 03:20 PM
That link takes you right to Direct TV's website...no discount there...only $80.00 plus tax and S/H. Which is crazy....I just love how they tell you how if you get HDTV receivers you'll get OnDemand then omit the part about the internet connection. I have wireless connection in my home but short of hard wiring the ethernet cable directly into the back of the receivers I don't know what to get and I certainly don't want to buy ANYTHING through DTV since their customer service people are uneducated in their own products!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi Cap:

DTV decided to send me a newer DVR that is internet capable. (Much appreciated BTW!. Good Customer service)

I did the same thing you want to do so I know it works. There are a few "what if's" involved. For instance, Is your Wireless an Infrastructor or Ad-Hoc. Also, Do you use static IP's or Dynamic (Not to your ISP but Internally).

MY example. The directv tech couldn't help so I decided to experiment myself. I have static IP's on my LAN. I also have a "server" so I have an "infrastructure" configuration. Using a Netgear router to the Internet and a wireless Linksys router connected to the DVR. After much experimenting, I found that changing the Linksys to "Ad-hoc" (yup, even in an infrastructure setup) the Linksys connected to my Netgear perfectly. Effectively turning the Linksys into an Access point.

Once you've configured your routers (and CAN ping the router connected to the DVR from any other computer), Don't forget you need to configure your DVR through the menu on the TV. It's really easy BUT, If you're using Static IP's, You need to give the DVR an entirely separate IP. ie: 192.168.0.???.

If I can help, Please feel free to ask.

=Dave R.=
I moved a HD dVR that I had networked and made an internet connection for DOD and now my current HD DVR will connect to the network, but, will not make an internet connection. I am using powerline connections. Any guidance would be ppreciated.
Resorts > jeffwltrs
Jan 12, 2010 at 02:26 PM
I really need to know a little more about your network configuration but, Check a few items:

1). Are you using DHCP on your router?
2). Is the "default gateway IP" configured to your router IP?

These two are the most likely problem. If that doesn't work, Let me know a little more about your setup.

=Dave=
beardog > Resorts
Feb 15, 2010 at 06:30 PM
HI Dave,

thanks for all the good posting. I wanted to find out if I need to buy 4 or 3 wireless adapter kits @ around $80 each b/c I want to hook up 2 HD DVR's wirelessly to the wireless rounter. My thought is that maybe I can buy 2 adapters for the back of the HD DVR's and just one for the wireless router? I would save $80 if that is the case b/c my thought would be I only need to plug in 1 adapter to the wireless router for an more than 1 HD DVR?
hey Dave,
I am not that technical genius, but I do usually know what I am doing. I recently recieved a new hd reciever from direct tv. This reciever says I have to be directly connected to an adaptor or router to connect to the internet. I have connected the router to the reciever via cat5. However when I press connect now the reciever tells there has a been an error. And if I look into to the error message the reciever says it is connected to the network but not the internet. I KNOW for a fact this wire works and has internet connectivity because I have tested it with three laptops with their wireless adaptors off using the hard wire as the internet source and they connect just fine. What am I sopposed to do with that ( other than get frustratedand pissed off at the reciever).
Hey Dave,
I am not that technical genius, but I do usually know what I am doing. I recently recieved a new hd reciever from direct tv. This reciever says I have to be directly connected to an adaptor or router to connect to the internet. I have connected the router to the reciever via cat5. However when I press connect now the reciever tells there has a been an error. And if I look into to the error message the reciever says it is connected to the network but not the internet. I KNOW for a fact this wire works and has internet connectivity because I have tested it with three laptops with their wireless adaptors off using the hard wire as the internet source and they connect just fine. What am I sopposed to do with that ( other than get frustratedand pissed off at the reciever).My email is serafindrums@yahoo.com
"Wireless Gaming adapter" just google that
Directv is not crazy. It is called a wireless ethernet gaming adapter.
I have cumputer which needs RJ45 to connect to internet where can get this.
please help!

Email Id removed for security
What you need is a wireless network bridge. You can find them for $9 on the net. Good luck.