Copy Potential data from one sheet to another if condition met

Closed
Kyle - Sep 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Sep 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM
Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read this,

I have a very specific formula request, or at least a request for direction on how to write/learn to write it if this community could help
I have two sheets of data, both potentially tracking the same parts. What I would like to do is have the sheet automatically search the group number in Column A in sheet 1 for a match in column N in sheet 2, and if there descriptions in sheet 1 column K and sheet 2 column L match copy the data from column J sheet 2 to column i sheet 1.
Is this possible? I have honestly have never really used excel so I don't know the extent of ability of macros and formulas. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your time,

Kyle

2 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Sep 8, 2016 at 11:30 AM
Hi Kyle,

Try the following code:
Sub RunMe()
Dim fRange As Range

Sheets("Sheet1").Select

For Each cell In Range("A2:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
    Set fRange = Sheets("Sheet2").Columns("N:N").Find(cell.Value)
    If Not fRange Is Nothing Then
        If cell.Offset(0, 10).Value = fRange.Offset(0, -2).Value Then
            cell.Offset(0, 8).Value = fRange.Offset(0, -4).Value
        End If
    End If
Next cell

End Sub

How to implement and run a code:

- From Excel hit Alt + F11 to open the “Microsoft Visual Basic” window.
- Go to the top menu in the newly opened window > Insert > Module.
- Paste the code in the big white field.
- You can now close this window.
- Back at Excel, hit Alt + F8 to display the available macro’s.
- Double-click the macro you wish to run.
NOTE: macro’s cannot be reversed using the blue arrows. Always make sure you save your file (or create a back up to be entirely sure) before running a code, so you can re-open your file if something unforeseen happens or you want to go back to the situation before the code was run.

And below is a link where you can find the workbook similating your scenario.
Group letters D and F are found on sheet2 but only group letter D has a matching description, thus the value 333 will be copied over to sheet1.

Here is the link:
http://ge.tt/2CFqOBe2

Best regards,
Trowa
Hi TrowaD, thanks for the reply!

I did those steps you listed above and I was given an error that says "subscript out of range". Would you mind running through and giving a quick explanation of each line of code for? I don't quite under stand the purpose of each command, and I think If I did I could alter it myself to make sure the range is acceptable and then add other commands I need as well.

again thanks for the reply!

Kyle