Headphone jack not working. Tried every suggestion on the net

Closed
calculatorjockey Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 19, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2016 - Sep 19, 2016 at 01:22 AM
calculatorjockey Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 19, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2016 - Sep 19, 2016 at 02:16 PM
Samsung Laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Processor AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
RAM - 8 GB
System Type - 64 Bit
Sound controllers
AMD High Def Audio Device
Realtek HD Audio

I have been using this laptop for 4 years. Sound worked fine. When I would plug in headphones it was still fine except the sound would only come through the headphones (which I was happy with). About a month ago I noticed that when I would plug in headphones into the jack on the side of the laptop that he sound continued to play through the PC speakers as well as the headphones. There was no task bar notification that the headphone was plugged in or removed. As of a couple of weeks ago, the sound doesn't come through the headphones. It continues to play through the PC speakers even with headphones plugged in.

What I have tried:

Different headphones. These work fine on anything else. Other working headphones do not work on this PC.
Update drivers. I tried this as well as uninstalling all sound drivers and rebooting to let the sound card be found and reinstalled and reboot again. I tried this by letting the installation use the Windows drivers. Didn't work so I tried and again and directed the installation (per several suggestions on the internet). No good.
Opened Realtek Audio Manager to tweak settings. There isn't much there. The little yellow folder that many speak of is not there nor are "front panel", "rear panel" icons. The only tabs in Realtek Audio Manager are "speaker" and "microphone".
Opening playback devices there is no headset shown as a playback device. If i select "show disabled devices" it still doesn't appear.
I am probably failing to write everything I have tried but this is what I remember.

Any suggestions?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM
Most laptops use an internal mechanical connection in the headphone jack. The connection can fail after 1000s of uses. It's possible you can source a replacement jack and find a repair shop that will solder in the new part. Just be aware that this repair might also damage the motherboard and make the laptop unusable.

Good Luck
calculatorjockey Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 19, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2016
Sep 19, 2016 at 02:16 PM
xpcman,

Thank you for taking the time to read my problem and respond. Is that it, then? Your suspicion is that the hardware is physically damaged? Is there a way to test it? Repairing the headphone jack could cost nearly $200 and that price is very near replacing the laptop.

Is it possible there will be another suggestion on this thread from someone else?