WD My passport is not detected

Closed
Roopa - Oct 11, 2016 at 01:05 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 11, 2016 at 09:54 AM
Hello,

Its unable to detect the hard disc in my computer and its ststing as Loacl disc G

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 11, 2016 at 04:46 AM
Hi Roopa,

I am sorry for any difficulties caused by your WD My Passport drive. Please test the drive on another PC and using another USB cable. Is the drive recognized in Disk Management with the correct file format? Please open Device Manager and search for the drive under USB devices. Uninstall the drive and restart the PC. Plug your My Passport back in and check if the automatic driver installation begins.
Do you have important data stored on the drive? If you do, use a data recovery tool and try to backup the most important archives. I leave you some suggestions in the link below:
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

If you manage to backup all data, try to format the drive. Download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, the diagnostic tool of Western Digital and test your drive for errors:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=MDkvh4

If all seems fine, you could try another thing. Run the Command Prompt as an Administrator and type the following command:

Chkdsk G: /f

Here G is the drive letter of your drive. Wait for the process to finish and check again if the drive is accessible.

Hope this helps

Thanks for responding I have tried in others laptop and its opening but can not copy and open the data its says currpted. May i know what will be the reason and how i can recover the data. I am not that much good in system. If I get step by step option will be good. Also Why this is happening.
Roopa > Roopa
Oct 11, 2016 at 05:16 AM
If hard disc currpted how I can recover data . if i format this will this work. I saw this piece is in warranty period as well. Kindly help me to get my data and my hard disc should be worked
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Roopa
Oct 11, 2016 at 09:54 AM
So, you can see the drive and access it. You can see the data but you cannot open the files or copy them? I strongly recommend you to use the Command Prompt command I mentioned you. In the Start Search line, write CMD. You will get a suggested program. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Once the black screen is loaded, type
Chkdsk G: /r

I use the letter G, because you said the drive appeared as drive G. If the drive letter is different, use the one assigned to the drive.
In general, if the drive is recognized by the PC, you may be able to save part of the data or all of it. Did you check the programs in the link I posted? It is hard to tell you what caused the problem. It may be an issue provoked by sudden drive disconnection or if the drive has been physically damaged. That is why once all important data is backed up, you should check the drive for errors. Formatting the drive will erase all data. You may still be able to recover it using some software, but right now I wouldn’t recommend you to format.