CPU fan fell

Closed
Daniel Herrick - Oct 12, 2016 at 09:17 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 14, 2016 at 04:03 AM
Hi, this is my first time using this website, and I'm only 14 so not exactly a tech expert. I just bought this PC 3 months ago, and something just happened today and I'm not sure why or how to fix it. I was just casually playing tf2, and then everything just shuts off. After a few seconds of pure confusion, I hear something inside of it fall. I go to check and see the CPU fan fell. After a bunch of frustrating attempts to get it back in, I finally do and turn it on. And when I do, it doesn't work. Boots up for 3 seconds and shuts off. One thing to note, while I was experimenting, I took out the cpu, and it was running. Is this just a faulty cpu?
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 14, 2016 at 04:03 AM
Hi Daniel,

Experimenting with PC builds may teach you a lot of things but also may damage some hardware. It is a rare problem to have your PC fan falling by itself. Maybe it wasn’t correctly placed. If there was a problem with the fan while you were playing, maybe there was an overheating issue and that is why the PC had to shut down.
Could you give me some more details about that CPU? What do you mean when you say you have removed it and it was running?
I would recommend you to apply some thermal paste and search for a new CPU fan. Maybe the best thing to do is to consult with a technician if it will be possible to try with another fan. There is no point buying a new one and then realize that the CPU has a problem too.

Hope this helps