Windows 7 slow to shutdown and startup [Solved]

Ask a question passion4tech 18Posts Sunday July 3, 2016Registration date November 26, 2016 Last seen - Last answered on Oct 22, 2016 04:15AM
Hello,

My computer has regressed over time in performance. Maybe it's because I have installed a lot of programs I'm not sure but the os is slow to shut down. I get message Waiting for background programs to close and it was explorer.exe. As matter fact explorer.exe is really causing issues in os. Crashing frequently, hogging resources, its frustrating! What is wrong with the os? I know Windows 7 is not perfect os but is this normal?

Regressed is not right word sorry. Actually windows 7 performs reasonably well it's just when it starts up or shutdowns it takes more time now then ever before. I guess it's normal when I first installed the os it started up and shutdown in no time.
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hi

No, it's not normal.

Have you ever thought of defragmenting your hard disk and clean-up your registry ? It sometimes does a world of good.
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
This just happened. Perhaps this is a hardware problem :(

Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Could be hardware but that would be second guess.

Looks more like a windows issue.

What is the make and model of your machine?

How much memory do you have ?

What is your antivirus ?

Did you make any changes lately like adding new software ?

Try to restore your system to an earlier date before the problems occurred.
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Good News everyone. I found out the culprit that was slowing down the os. It was this strange file called sqlwriter.exe. It was located in roaming app data folder and I deleted it. Since I deleted the file the os is noticeably faster. It did not appear to be a virus, it was some file from Microsoft that somehow got on my computer perhaps through windows update I guess. Glad I solved issue :)
Ambucias 34968Posts mardi 2 février 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus December 2, 2016 Last seen - Oct 22, 2016 04:15AM
Thank you for letting me know.

Have a nice day
Add comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?