PC won't boot, change the RAM slot, then works

Solved/Closed
pedagil - Updated on Jan 7, 2019 at 08:18 AM
pedagil Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2016 - Oct 18, 2016 at 06:58 PM
Hello,

My PC recently started behaving strange. Yesterday, it worked fine. Today, when I tried to turn it on, fans and other basic things were working fine, but BIOS was not booting. I have 1 RAM of 4 GB. I put it in another RAM slot in my motherboard, and then the PC started. It's not the RAM socket that has the problem, because I had the same problem again.

I again changed the RAM and put it in another slot. It worked. (Sometimes it didn't work. Then I changed slot. But, usually, it works after the second time. It's probably not the mobo's problem, because if i try to turn on the PC without RAM, it makes the continuous beep sound indicating the mobo is working properly.

I think that it's either the PSU problem, or the RAM (probably the RAM). But, I don't have access to another working RAM to test it. In a small research on the web, I haven't found something similar. The fact that changing the RAM slot makes it work makes me feel that the RAM is working. When the PC boots, Windows is working perfect, as before. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks in advance!
System Configuration: Windows / Chrome 45.0.2454.93
Related:

4 responses

pedagil Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2016 13
Updated on Jan 7, 2019 at 08:21 AM
Hi,

I gave the PC to a store to fix it. As I couldn't figure out what's happening. PSU works fine, so does the HDD and SSD hard drives. Now it's clear. I think why the problem was so complicated. Both the motherboard and the RAM had problems. Replaced the RAM with a new one, and now what happens is that when I turn on the PC, it starts, then you hear the fans shut down, then turning up again 2 or 3 times.

The engineers in the store tested my machine with a brand new PSUs and the same stuff kept on going. The reason why PC restarts on its own, is that there is something wrong with the motherboard.

Something that makes the motherboard not able to boot. The motherboard understands it cannot boot, and then reboots, until it will finally boot into my OS. So it was a combination of two major failures of the hardware.

I hope this thread will help others with similar problems, and next week I will replace my motherboard, and leave a comment here to make the thread completely solved!