Acer Aspire Laptop will turn on but not boot up

Solved/Closed
BWP - Nov 7, 2016 at 09:04 PM
 BWP - Nov 12, 2016 at 06:00 PM
Hello,

I have a bit of an older Acer Aspire laptop (4ish years old) bought in Canada. While it was turned off I took the battery out. Now when I turn it back on (doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not) the power button lights up as well as the little light bulb and batter lights on the front. However that's it, the fan doesn't seem to be on and I don't hear any other sounds coming out of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm working in Papua New Guinea for the next two months so there's no option to get it replaced or fixed.
Related:

2 responses

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Nov 9, 2016 at 02:37 AM
Hello BWP,

In my opinion, the reason that you are unable to boot your laptop is the fact that the motherboard battery of the laptop got exhausted and needs either replacement or reset. Have you tried resetting it? If not, please try то do so. If you don't have new CMOS battery, you can just take the current one for some minutes and wait to discharge. You must do that after you have pulled out the battery and the power cord of the laptop. Open the lid and localize the CMOS battery which lies next to the processor and it looks like a watch battery. If you have another CMOS battery, you can replace it with that. If you don't, leave your current battery aside and wait for some minutes for the electricity to discharge. Then, plug the CMOS battery back in and the power cord. Try to boot your laptop again and come back to the topic to tell me what happened.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice KY_WD, I did as you suggested and the laptop is back up and running! Had to take it completely apart to get to the BIOS battery but I was able to get it put back together with only two extra screws left over at the end lol.

Thanks again,

- BWP