Computer starts but monitor says "no signal"

Closed
smussery - Updated on Dec 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM
 OMARJAWO - Feb 18, 2019 at 10:19 AM
Hi,

Yesterday, my monitor worked fine. Today, l connected it to a different computer just as a test to diagnose the monitor problem on that computer. This monitor again functioned properly on the second computer. Then, l brought it back to the original computer and reconnected, found everything as normal.

When l turn the computer on, the monitor shows the brand name screen and then goes to a black screen with the "no signal" message.

I know the computer is functioning because l can hear the welcome sound even though nothing shows on the screen.

I have tried unplugging/re-plugging and removing/replacing the CMOS battery. No success!

How do l get my picture back?

Thanks!

1 response

Annzccm Posts 3 Registration date Friday November 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen November 18, 2016 45
Updated on Dec 26, 2018 at 01:01 PM
Hi,
  • Turn off your computer. Unplug the cable running from your monitor to your PC and plug it back in, making sure the connection is firm. The most common cause of this error is a loose cable.
  • Re-attach the cable running from your monitor to your PC. If the monitor is still not displaying a signal after firmly reattaching the cable, the problem could lie with the cable, especially if the cable has visible damage.
  • Replace your monitor with another monitor if possible. If the "No Input Signal" error still appears, the problem does not rest with the cables or the monitor, but with your PC.
  • Open your PC case and locate your video card. Remove the card and then replace it firmly in its slot or, if possible, insert the video card into another slot on your motherboard. A video card that is not making a firm connection will not display images to the monitor. Close your PC case and test the monitor again.
  • Replace your video card completely. Your video card may suffer from internal damage that is not allowing it to output a signal.

Thanks!
I appreciate your comments on that particular problem, this fixed it for me.