External hard drive not recognize on MacOS

Ask a question fa - Last answered on Nov 28, 2016 05:03AM
Hello,

I have a 1TB toshiba external hard drive working normally with Ubuntu. Now I have a McBook with Mac OS X (10.11.6) and the hard drive is not recognize. More curious is the fact that the led indicator goes from white to blue.

The hard drive is not found on the finder or disk utility application. Any idea how I can solve this?

Fabian
See more 
Helpful
+1
moins plus
It's possible that your Mac only reads disks formatted by the Mac or Fat32 from Windows.
fa- Nov 23, 2016 03:15PM
that could be a reason, as the external hard drive is with NTFS format but it works good for Windows and Ubuntu. Im gonna format it and check. Thanks!
xpcman 16516Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration date ModeratorStatus December 8, 2016 Last seen - Nov 23, 2016 04:23PM
right the Mac doe not read NTSF
fa- Nov 27, 2016 03:00PM
well unfortunately even with format FAT32 the mac is not recognizing it. I tried with other devices on the mac an it is working properly. It is only the Toshiba HDD that is not working properly
R2D2_WD 3236Posts Monday September 1, 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 9, 2016 Last seen - Nov 28, 2016 05:03AM
Hi Fabian,

Could you please check if the hard drive is working normally when connected on Windows PC? Sometimes Unix based systems respond better when it comes to drives with connectivity issues. If the drive is not working in Windows, there may be a problem with the drive. I strongly recommend you to backup all data while using the Linux OS. Is it possible to format in exFAT? Please check that and try to connect the drive to the Mac.

Hope this helps
Add comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?