Cd is not auto-detected while booting

Solved/Closed
kanu - Jun 4, 2008 at 11:15 PM
 sunil - Jun 23, 2010 at 06:07 AM
cd drive is working ,but it is not auto detected whle booting .

i want to formate my system & planned to reinstall windows XP.

but while booting cd is not auto detected.

pls help
Related:

4 responses

Your CD/DVD/Blue Ray-Rom may not be on the boot list, or it is but a lower priority then your hard disk. Try changing the boot order in the BIOS, or try hitting your related function key during boot, maybe F12.
I TRY TO UPDATE MY LAPTOP BIOS WHEN IT WAS GOING TO BE UPDATED A NOTIFICATION APPEARS THAT A FLASH DISK ERASED 99% AND LAPTOP HANGUP THEN I RESTART IT . IT CANNOT BOOT NO DISPLAY COME BUT SYSTEM STARTS .PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO COPY A ERASED FLASH DISK PROGRAMING . I CAN DOWMLOAD BIOS IMAGE AND COPY OF BIOS BUT I TRY TO LOAD IT .BUT IT CANNOT COPIED MY LAPTOP WAS FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO D 7830 .I CHECK THE WEB SITE THERE IS NO HELP
I have the same problem, even after placing cd rom at 1st priority, and I even tried disabling the hd. Cd drive works in windows, but not from dos or boot disk.
Morfoot Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday January 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 11, 2009 11
Jan 8, 2009 at 11:31 AM
Is windows currently working? If so, you should be able to start a new installation of windows by opening the cd in windows and selecting install windows. It'll create a boot record on your hd then restart and boot into the installation program.

If windows isn't working, do you have a floppy drive? You can boot a windows xp installation from a series of floppy discs. Check here: (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310994 to download the program that'll write you your boot discs. You'll need 6 floppy discs.
THX Morfoot!

Oddly when I start the recovery disc in windows it starts up and shows choice to recover at restart, but after restart is where it fails to launch. From there I tried to go to dos to launch to no avail., also I cannot "format C: " and start clean. Any ideas what the cause and cure is?

I was thinking of trying DBAN (Darik's boot and nuke) to get back to clean, but I fear not being able to get my recovery disk started in CD drive. But I am going to down load the floppy start disks incase, but will they work with my Toshiba recovery disk (that's all that came w satellite p25-509) and not the traditional windows xp disk?

Thanks a bunch!

Ray
Morfoot Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday January 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 11, 2009 11
Jan 9, 2009 at 06:01 PM
Hmm, I've never tried to use the floppies to launch a branded installation, it does say that it's only for normal installations but I don't see what difference it would make, if I were you I'd give it a go and see.

I'm not sure what type of installation disk your Toshiba recovery disk will be, a normal installation disk can be started from within Windows, where it'll write a boot record on your HD then restart, or you should be able to boot directly from the disk. Have you tried both of these?

If you start the installation from Windows and it doesn't boot into Windows setup, check your boot file (C:\boot.ini) to see if the installation made an entry in there.

If you try and start the installation by booting the CD and it doesn't work, does the BIOS flash any messages up?
So I have an old system and I'm trying to install a fresh copy of XP on it. I was unable to boot to the CD Rom, however when in Windows it was working. I have since reformatted the HD on another computer and then hooked it back up to the old computer. Still nothing. So now I've those 6 boot disks and I do get into the Windows Setup screen, but after loading the disks it tells me that it is unable to detect my CD ROM. So this is where I stand at the moment. I'm gonna try to swap out CD ROMS from another computer but after that I'm fresh out of ideas for the moment. Anyone have anything else I could try. Thanks
did yu check the bois start up ? make sure cd rom is first ....
i am not able to boot from cd what happened