DNS Setup problem

Closed
Tony - Nov 28, 2016 at 07:11 AM
 Blocked Profile - Nov 30, 2016 at 04:46 PM
Hello,

I have the following hardware setup:

An ISP gateway, a Router, a Windows SBS 2008 Server

The Router is connected to the ISP gateway and has its DHCP Server option disabled.

The server is connected to the Router.

I used Windows SBS 2008 console to connect to the internet through the wizard which assigned the server to be as the DHCP Server with the following static IP:

IPv4: 192.168.1.2

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The server connects to the internet, however loading sites is a bit slow and sometime I get a DNS Probe message and it works again when I reload.

I open the DNS manager on the server, and I right clicked on the server and properties, forwarders I entered the router IP address.

In the General tab I have the IP listener set to only the IP of the server. and I chose Secure and non secure access.

Now the real problem is my desktop that is on the domain, is able to connect to the router and obtain an IP address.

But no internet. It shows I am connected to the internet but browsing give me DNS error messages on the site page.

The desktop machine has the IPv4 property of the LAN set to DHCP and the DNS entry is set to 192.168.1.2 which is the server

Can someone be kind enough to provide me with the correct method to setup the DNS on the SBS 2008 so that the server and the clients can connect and resolve their name queries?

Thank you in advance.
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Nov 28, 2016 at 05:38 PM
Put the client DNS to the wireless gateway, put the gateway DNS as the ISP router, and leave the ISP router alone!. In the secondary DNS, set it as 4.2.2.2

That will force a look up up the netwrok!
If I put the Client DNS to point to the Gateway, any internal name resolution would no longer resolve. ? The reason the client DNS point to the server if also for internal name resolution.
Blocked Profile
Nov 30, 2016 at 04:46 PM
Well, then it sounds like you know what you are doing! For local resolution you could use a host file!