Black screen blinking white light now no boot device

Ask a question jamie5332 3Posts Friday December 2, 2016Registration date December 5, 2016 Last seen - Last answered on Dec 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Thank you ahead of time. First off, I have no computer knowledge at all and do not know the computer words or lingo. Computers frustrate me beyond words. I have a dell desk with a flashing white small line. I read some provided answers, tapped on F2 and went to boot configuration. Nothing matched on the menu what was in the answers so I went to boot setting configuration and 1st boot device. This is when the no boot device available error happened. Please help. Thank you
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hello jamie5332,

Can you share with us, please, what implied the tapping of the F2 key and going to the BIOS menu? Did you have a booting problem with the hard drive? If you didn't, please tell me what other error did you get. The reason you are unable to boot is that the hard drive is not set as a first boot priority device. It also may be due to misconfiguration in the BIOS settings, physical disconnection of the drive or even its failure. These are the thing you might want to check.
My advice is to restart your PC, press the F2 key and go to the Boot menu. Do you see your hard drive listed there as first priority boot device? If the mark is not set on it, please set it manually. Then press F10 to save the changes and restart.

Let me know if that helped you. Have a great weekend.
jamie5332 3Posts Friday December 2, 2016Registration date December 5, 2016 Last seen - Dec 2, 2016 at 02:21 PM
Thank you for responding. The original problem was the black screen with the small white line on the top left. I read that to fix this, I should tap f2 and go to boot configuration. Now I have a new problem.
KY_WD 1756Posts Thursday October 23, 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 6, 2016 Last seen - Dec 5, 2016 at 05:19 AM
Hello again,

Are you able to boot in Safe mode? I have an idea and it is to restore the system through a repair CD if you have one.
Please, restart your computer, go after pressing the appropriate F key to navigate to the Windows menu. From there you should have access to restore your OS. Open the Command Prompt in safe mode and run the command:
sfc / scannow
Then press Enter and wait for your OS to be repaired. If you cannot access this menu while you reboot, enter the BIOS settings. There, navigate to the storage menu to verify that your hard drive is as a first boot priority. If not, set it!
Once you have done this please, come over here to tell me what happened.

Good luck!
jamie- Dec 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM
Thank you for your reply but I am not familiar with the term booting to safe mode means.
jamie5332 3Posts Friday December 2, 2016Registration date December 5, 2016 Last seen KY_WD - Dec 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Thank you. Please help me to know what you mean by booting to safe mode. Thank you. Sorry I am so frustrating.
KY_WD 1756Posts Thursday October 23, 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 6, 2016 Last seen - Dec 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Don't worry! :) Just, when you start the PC, press the respective F key or the ESC key to enter that mode. It shoould be written on the screen.

Good luck! :)
Add comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?