Toshiba laptop will not start

Solved/Closed
fred - Dec 5, 2016 at 11:07 AM
 Fred - Dec 9, 2016 at 03:49 AM
Hello,
laptop will not startup i get error message, file missing or content errors, \windows\system 32\winload.efi. can anyone help please.

Related:

3 responses

It took quite a while and a lot of head scratching, but i finally got it back to normal. It is however now back to Windows 8.1 which in truth is no bad thing. Thanks again for all your help.
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Dec 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM
Hey fred,

Can you tell me, what happened prior to this error? Were there any power outages in your area or was the PC properly shut off? I am asking you this, because it seems like there is a corruption of a system register which needs to be repaired.
Do you have a Windows repair or installation CD? If you do, it would be great, because you will need to boot from it. If there is a need to change the boot priority before starting the procedure, please do so. You can do that by entering in the BIOS menu and switching from HDD to DVD/CD /optical device/.
Then, insert the Windows CD and chose the option for the Command prompt. There you must type the following commands followed by the Enter after each of them:
bootrec.exe
/fixmbr
/fixboot
/rebuildbcd
/scanos
After that, press Enter and wait for your system to be repaired. Please, come and tell me what happened afterwards.

Good luck!
Thanks for your help, i have used a windows recovery usb stick to re-install and i am currently in the process of setting up the laptop again, i have accepted the fact that i will have lost all files and folders as a result .
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > Fred
Dec 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM
I hope the other things will work!!

I keep my fingers crossed.
In trying to recover the laptop without losing any folders, i created a recovery usb stick from another laptop, using the same operating system, i was then able to get to a recovery options screen, i changed the boot options to go to usb 1st before hdd on restart, i then tried system restore but it did`nt work, also pc repair did not work. finally i took the risk of losing files and folders and used choose c/d or usb stick to replace the current sytem and renew using the system recovery on my usb stick. as a result i was able to completely renew set up of windows, although it was only windows 8.1. having done all this i discovered that the laptop, newly setup, could not see any wifi networks, although in fact there was more than one available, it was not discovering any. after several attempts to persuade it to look for networks, i finally connected the laptop via an ethernet cable direct to my router, and low and behold i had access to the internet, also once i disconnected the cable my wifi had returned to normal, and is now working normally.