WD Passport is showing 0 used space

Closed
Richard - Updated by Ambucias on 6/12/16 at 05:24 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Dec 6, 2016 at 10:36 AM
Hello,

My WD Passport is showing 0 used space, o free space and is RAW. I have tried using Softwares like iCare, Ease us, M3 but I don't seem to make any headway. Please help

Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Dec 6, 2016 at 10:36 AM
Hello Richard,

Have you checked if the hard disk works on different ports on your computer? If the PC has several USB ports, I recommend plugging it in each of them because, for example, the USB ports of the front panel of the PC may need updating of the drivers. Besides, I would like to know, have you connected the external hard drive on different computers with different operating systems recently? I am also interested if the external HDD has additional power or receives the power by USB cable. I'd appreciate if you give me more details about that.
If you have the option, I recommend you go to the Control Panel> Computer Management> Disk Manager to tell me if the external drive is recognized and has a drive letter assigned to it. If it hasn't you must assign it manually. It would be good, if seen, to test it with a software made by it's manufacturer to check its S.M.A.R.T. Status. If you haven't done it till now, I would like to suggest you try to access it with an Ubuntu Live CD/USB.
If the hard drive is not seen, you can reboot your machine while the disk is plugged in and enter the BIOS menu to see if the system can recognize it a physical level.
Also, you could make the extended test on the drive using our tool WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. You can download it from here http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DpAF1e and it's free of charge.
Can you hear the hard drive spinning while connected or everything is calm and does not feel any vibration when you touch the case? If you can't, the disk must be in a bad condition and you should take it to a data recovery company to extract the information.

Tell me what happened. Good luck!