Acer laptop doesn't turn on for few hours after i turned it off

Solved/Closed
karna123 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2016 - Updated by Ambucias on 7/12/16 at 04:59 AM
karna123 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2016 - Dec 13, 2016 at 05:24 AM
Hey Guys. I have an Acer Aspire 5742 I5-480M laptop and when I turn it off, it doesn't want to turn on again, for a few hours . When connected to the power supply, it charges the laptop and works very well like for hours even on battery it works pretty well for hours normally but when i shut down or even hibernate it doesn't turn on for next few hours ,

I really don't know what to do. Every time it does that, I have to wait a long time to be able to turn it on again. I have tried the so-called "power reset" (remove the battery and press the power button for 30 secs or so), but i have to do it every time to open it again :( , sometimes i just have to hold the power button for 10 sec and it turns on , ( without any battery removal or anything) The only problem is when i turn it off it doesn't open for next 5-6 hours no matter what i do .
  • If the laptop is connected to the power supply, the power led is not showing any sign
  • when i connect battery led shows charging indication and even battery gets fully charged.
  • i have reset the CMOS & RAM , even formatted my c drive and reinstalled windows still the same problem exists .
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 9, 2016 at 10:13 AM
Hi Karna,

I would say that you are facing a hardware issue. Most probably your laptop is overheating and needs to lower the temperature before turning back on. Could you check PC temperature the next time you are able to boot? If the cooling fans are not running as expected, the temperature may get high quickly.
The problem is that if you are facing overheating, the PC should turn itself off when temperature gets really high. So, if it is not overheating there may be a power button issue or a motherboard problem. In order to investigate the issue further, you may need to seek help from a technician.

Hope this helps

karna123 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2016
Updated by karna123 on 10/12/16 at 04:33 AM
Firstly , thanks for replying and trying to help me out

yes i didn't notice before but my cooling fan is not working the way it did before , when i power on my laptop, cooling fan doesn't start , it does start after 30 mins or so rounds for few seconds and then stops again , may be there is issue with the fan ? thanks for figuring that out , and do u think my laptop is not overheting because i live in a cold place and temp is about 10-15 degrees here

About power button issue sometimes it just opens with a single tap on power button.
and it works fine for like many hours and no beeping sound or performance issue so can there be a motherboard issue possible ?

i am going to dissamble the laptop clean the fan and try few tests on power button & motherboard , hope this will work , if it does i will let u know

regards
Karna
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > karna123 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2016
Dec 13, 2016 at 05:07 AM
Before the issue occurred, have you noticed if fan was staring with the pressing of the power button? Contaminated fan can cause similar problems. The room temperature affects the performance of the PC and is a factor when it comes to overheating.
Please clean carefully the PC and check if the cooling runs normally. If not, you may need to get a new fan. Before doing so, seek assistance from a technician in order to confirm that all other components ar running normally.
karna123 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2016
Dec 13, 2016 at 05:24 AM
hey R2D2_W2

no fan was not starting with the pressing of power button

however as i said i cleaned the entire pc , assembled & dissembled it. Unplugged all the connection and re-plugged them one by one , guess what it started , and is working normally from morning , thank u very much for dragging my attention towards the fan.
Fan is back to the normal & all functions are working well :-)

thanks a lot for the support
regards Karna