Unrecognize my WD Elements 1TB external hard drive

Closed
Joe1231 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday December 24, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 24, 2016 - Dec 24, 2016 at 02:47 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Dec 29, 2016 at 04:01 AM
Hello,
I have used WD Elements 1TB external hard drive over a year and all of sudden it got problem like it couldnt be detect to my pc or laptop I could hear some noise like the hard drive is running I could see light also..i dont want to lose my data. l how could I recover the data...Could you please help it out to access data. I also did try at other pc or laptop.. same thing happen..
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 27, 2016 at 02:40 AM
Hi Joe,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your WD Elements. Trying on another PC was a really good idea. I recommend you to try with another USB cable and open Disk Management. Is the drive recognized? Does it have a file format and a drive letter? If the drive is listed there but with no drive letter, try to assign one by right clicking the drive. Do not try to format or initialize the drive.
If you still cannot access the files but they are really important to you, download a data recovery tool and try recovering your information. I leave you a link with some suggestions:
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

If you manage to backup all important information, check your hard drive’s condition, using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=vjPdql

If all seems fine, format the drive and it should be recognized.

Hope this helps

Hi R2D2_WD,

Basically the WD Elements disk is identified as a local disk (e.g., F:) in my desktop and laptop but Windows File Manager or Recovery Tool you suggested cannot read the disk. File manager just hanging, that is, not responding, and the Recovery tool indicates scanning the logical driving over hours but actually not responding.

Data in the disk is very important to me so that I would like to recover and back them up. Please advise me if there are other tools or means to enable to read and back up data.
Your support is highly appreciated.

JOE
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > joe1231
Dec 28, 2016 at 04:05 AM
Could you tell me if the drive has a file format listed in Disk Management? It is really unfortunate that the data recovery tools cannot read the stored information. Since the drive is actually recognized when connected (but not accessible) you may have a chance accessing those files if using another OS. Sometimes UNIX based systems show better results accessing drives that Windows cannot. I would advise you to download a Linux Live version. These are free to download. Make a bootable USB with the files, restart the PC and boot from the flash drive. No installation is required. Wait for the OS to load and connect the drive. Try to access and backup the information.
Another option is to contact a Data Recovery Company. Since the drive is working mechanically, you may have good chances saving most of the stored files.
joe1231 > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
Dec 28, 2016 at 11:53 AM
Hi R2D2_WD,

I did not format the WD Elements. Instead, I saved the data of my laptop to there. I think it is formatted with windows NTFS, a factory default.
I will try to recover it with Linux.
Thank you so much.

JOE
shin1231 > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
Dec 28, 2016 at 06:39 PM
Hi,
I have installed a linux and tried to open the wd external hard disk. A good news is to recognize and show its disk label i named. But it is stll opening over hourd. I wonder if there is any recover tool in linux??
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
joe
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > shin1231
Dec 29, 2016 at 04:01 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot recommend you any data recovery tool. Have a look at the link below for some suggestions:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-ways-to-recover-data-on-linux/

It is a really good sign that the drive is correctly recognized. Try more than one tool because they may show different results. As Nathanwirth said, using the chkdsk command in Windows Command Prompt might help. It is worth the try. Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator and type:
Chkdsk L: /r

Replace the L with the drive’s letter. Wait for the process to end and then try to access the data.
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Dec 29, 2016 at 02:12 AM
Hi Joe, have you tried check disk command to detect and fix the issue of your hard drive. I believe check disk command will help you out as it is the best solution for repairing a damaged hard drive. Good Luck!!