Deleted a folder in Flash Drive (pc Powerpoints & Word)

Closed
gracejyong Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday December 28, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 11, 2017 - Dec 28, 2016 at 11:54 AM
gracejyong Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday December 28, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 11, 2017 - Jan 11, 2017 at 02:49 PM
Help! I accidentally deleted a folder on my flash drive containing an entire semester's worth of teaching preparation. There are many elaborate Powerpoint (pc) presentations with a lot of images, active links, and moving gifs. There are also many Word (pc) documents. There are also some videos. I wrongly selected/highlighted the folder and pressed the "Del" key. Ii already checked that the folder is not in my pc (Surface) Recycle bin. I immediately noticed my mistake and have not written anything new into the flash drive. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 28, 2016 at 05:37 PM
Perhaps this free software can help. Just be swure to only insert the flash drive after you install the software:

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/deleted-recovery-software/free-deleted-folder-recovery-software.htm
gracejyong Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday December 28, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 11, 2017
Updated by gracejyong on 29/12/16 at 02:23 AM
I haven't tried the Kroll Ontrack Easy Recovery Home software.

I did just purchase and try Ease US Data Recovery Wizard Professional 10.8 for $69.95. It was absolutely ineffective. First of all, it was unable to recover the newest version of the folder that I had saved. It did allow me to recover an older version of the folder in which out of ~ 200 files, it only managed to give me one Word file back that was normal. (This was the Word file I had most recently worked on- the Final Exam for the class). The rest of the files Powerpoints, Word files, and videos it recovered for me back were unuseable/corrupted, I could not open. I am really thinking about complaining and trying to get my money back; and also leaving very bad (honest) reviews all over the internet.
gracejyong Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday December 28, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 11, 2017
Updated by gracejyong on 29/12/16 at 02:25 AM
Do I have a "lost partition" situation?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 29, 2016 at 02:54 AM
Hi Gracejyong,

Unfortunately mistakes like this happen. The good news is that you haven’t used the flash drive, so the files may still be recoverable. Sadly, no data recovery software gives 100% chance of success. In fact, most of the tools read and recover only part of the information. You had a pretty unlucky experience with the used software. It is normal to have some files recovered but not readable. In your case the 100% success ratio is really low. Try with another tool. There are some free utilities that can show good results. Check the link below for some suggestions:
http://es.ccm.net/download/sistema-6

Hope this helps

Jan 11, 2017 at 02:49 PM
Actually Ease US Data Recovery Wizard Professional 10.8 $69.95 worked better than what I stated above. Turns out I wasn't using the software correctly. I got help from them via a remote session and I got more files back (but still not all). Inconveniently, I had to go online with them at 8pm because their tech help is in China.

In conclusion for my situation, Ease US Data Recovery Wizard Professional 10.8 $69.95 worked better than Data Rescue PC3 $99 and Ontrack Easy Recovery $79.