Laptop does not recognise my WD Passport

Solved/Closed
aressee Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 27, 2017 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2017 - Updated by Ambucias on 27/01/17 at 11:54 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 30, 2017 at 06:59 AM
Hi

My laptop does not recognise my WD Passport.
The laptop bleeps when passport is plugged in and removed but no drive letter.
I have been into Device Manager and it is listed there and states that the device is working properly.
Nothing is listed under Volumes and it states that the driver is up to date.
Under Events it states that the device was deleted on 21/12/2016 and configured on 27/01 2017 but not by me.

Can you help

Regards
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 27, 2017 at 07:08 AM
Hi Aressee,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your WD My Passport drive. Could you check if the drive is working properly when connecting to another PC and using another USB cable?
Open Disk Management and check if the drive is listed there. Does it have a drive letter? Sometimes, when a drive is used on multiple devices, it loses the assigned letter and the letter should be assigned manually. Try to do so right clicking on the drive. Do you have important data on the drive? If you do not have, format the drive and check again if it is properly recognized.
Please, let me know if there is any progress!

Hope this helps

aressee Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 27, 2017 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2017
Jan 27, 2017 at 12:06 PM
Hi

I've tried the Passport in another computer with both the original and new lead which recognised the drive in Device Management but not in Disk Management.
It is also recognised by 'Eject Media' and 'Connected Devices' in Settings but no indication of a drive letter

If I have to format the disk can you advise on how this is done without a drive letter?

Regards
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 30, 2017 at 06:59 AM
Hi again,

If the drive is not recognized in Disk Management, but you wish to try formatting it, you may try using the Command Prompt. Start the Command Prompt as an Administrator and type the following commands:
Diskpart
List Disk (you will get a list of the connected disks)
Select disk n (n must be the corresponding number of the drive, taken from the previous line)
Clean
Format fs=NTFS label=Passport quick
Assign Letter H
Exit

This way you will erase all on the drive, format in NTFS, name it Passport and you will assign a letter H. You can change the format, the letter and the name, as you wish. Just make sure the letter you assign is not reserved or in use.

Hope this helps