Computer won't start - black screen

Closed
EnviousEnvi - Jan 28, 2017 at 06:09 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Jan 31, 2017 at 04:01 AM
Hello,
So, I was away from home for 10 days. Yesterday I turned on my computer, everything worked just fine, turned it off and everything worked. Today, I wanted to turn the computer on to work on some stuff and everything started up normally, got the log in screen and all. So I typed my password and it took way more time for the computer to check everything. When it finally logged me in and all that, the whole screen is black, with only the coursor on the screen. I can still access the file manager and all, but the screen is all black. If somebody knows how and if i can solve the problem myself, help would be appreciated.

Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Jan 31, 2017 at 04:01 AM
Hi EnviousEnvi,

Can you boot into Safe mode? Have you tried that?
You could try to restore the system through a repair CD if you have one. You have to boot from it.
Please, restart your computer, go after pressing the appropriate F key to navigate to the Windows menu. From there you should have access to restore your OS. Open the Command Prompt in safe mode and run the command:
sfc / scannow
Then press Enter and wait for your OS to be repaired. If you cannot access this menu while you reboot, enter the BIOS settings. There, navigate to the storage menu to verify that your hard drive is as a first boot priority. If it's not, you have to manually set it.

Let me know what happened.