Wifi connected but no internet

Solved/Closed
deborah bowles - Updated by Ambucias on 9/02/17 at 04:34 PM
 Deborah - Feb 9, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Hello,

The WiFi on my laptop not working its showing that it's connected but it ever comes up that there's no internet or its not working but it works fine on my phone and iPad

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Feb 7, 2017 at 08:58 AM
Hello Deborah,

It's good to know that the other 2 devices are able to connect to the wi-fi network. At least, that indicates that there's no problem with the router and the domestic network itself. Can you please, answer to these questions:
1. What operating system does the laptop have?
2. Since when you started receiving this type of error?
3. Have you tried connecting the laptop to another wi-fi network?
4. Adid you try connecting to Internet when using an Ethernet cable directly attached to the router's port?

When you have the time, come back to the topic to share more details. Cheers.
My operating system is 8.1 and its just been the last two days or so that its been like it there isn't another WiFi I can cannect to and an Ethernet cable won't fit as the laptop is on my bedroom and the router is in the forntroom I have a WiFi extender so the signal reaches my room as I said its just be the last two days or so that's its been happening I don't really want to refresh my laptop I was hopeing there was something else I could do thank you
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > Deborah
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Hi again,

Try to go Control panel> Network and Internet> Network and sharing center> Change adapter settings and when you reach the settings of the network card go to advanced settings. Then clock on the first property and check if the values of the 802.1p Support are on 20 Mghz or 40MGhz or set to automatic.

Good luck.
Deborah > KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017  
Feb 8, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Hi
Ive tryed doing what you said I got up to network connections and clicked on my wifi but I can't find the advanced settings

When I do a network diagnostics it come up with your modem is experiencing connectivity issues or problem with wireless adapter or access point and the connection between your access point or cable modem and the Internet is broken
I know the Internet is working OK because I'm sat infront of my laptop on my iPad and the Internet is working fine on it I'm on it now

When I first tuned my laptop on tonight I could load Google web page but that was it and now not even that comes up it just comeing up with this page can't be displayed or it comes up you're not connected to the Internet
Sorry about long message I just want to give as much info as I can so I can get it sorted so I can start going on my laptop again
Thank you
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > Deborah
Feb 9, 2017 at 05:39 AM
Thank you for the detailed information.

Well, it's a more severe problem than I thought initially. Frankly said, right now it comes up in my mind to try one thing more, before calling your internet service provider technicians.
Restart your broadband modem by following these steps:
1. Unplug or turn off the modem.
2. After all the lights on the modem are off, wait at least 10 seconds.
3. Turn the modem on or plug it back into the power outlet. To restart a modem that has a built-in battery, press and quickly release the Reset button.
Also, you could try a clean boot of the laptop. I've managed to find the steps in the MicroSoft forum as they seem to be working for some cases like yours. Check out this:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, try to connect to Internet and check if it works.

Good luck with that.
Deborah > KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017  
Feb 9, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Hi thank you
I just did what you said and its seems to of worked so thank you I can finely get on the internet on my laptop thank you again