No SATA to IDE or AHCI

Closed
milivoe - Feb 17, 2017 at 01:09 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Feb 20, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Hi,
I do not have settings in BIOS for changing from SATA to IDE or AHCI. Just date ,clock, device boot order, secure boot, and turning on or of boot devices. Sony,f*cking Vaio. Always totaly different from everybody else

Related:

2 responses

it's the XP installation conundrum, disc can't see HDD...
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 17, 2017 at 03:14 AM
Hi milivoe,

Could you try resetting your BIOS to its defaults? Another thing to try is to seek if it is possible to activate Legacy BIOS menu. It is common that some manufacturers use modified versions of BIOS.
So, basically, right now the PC cannot see the HDD during Windows XP installation? Have you tested if this happens on another PC. Just connect the drive and boot from the installation device. Check if the drive will appear.

Hope this helps

It happens with the Legacy option on, it is the only way to boot from external disc reader on a Vaio SVE1712C1EB with Win 8 preinstalled, now Win 10 updated. Just, when it boots from disc - see no HDD. Restored it to default settings, can't boot from disc. Legacy lets it boot from disc, F6 during boot asks for floppy drivers for SATA AHCI. Who the Hell has Floppy Reader in 21st century?!?! I even have to use some old external CD Reader because I haven't used my DVD drive for the last 4 yaers, and it is now full of dust it does not work, just crumbles somethig, like a coffie machine. Any way around this? Without floppy or preloading drivers to installation ISO image, I mean?
Installation disc works fine, it's just, everyone on the internet who has this problem has option in BIOS to change HDD option from SATA to ATA or something like that, I do not. No Advanced Menu, just basic Clock and Date on one, Legacy or UEFI and some kind of Machine Password on second, Secure Boot and Device Boot Order on third, and Default settings, Save or Discard Settings and Exit on the last Menu.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > milivoe
Feb 20, 2017 at 06:16 AM
I have seen similar issues with drivers during startup. The floppy driver problem seems really strange. Do you get it when you try to boot from the HDD or when you try to run the installation disc?
I would say that this is not really a floppy driver issue (no matter if it says so), but more like a BIOS problem or an installation drive issue. I used to have a SATA drivers issue before Windows installation and it was gone when I switched the Windows installation drive with a USB stick.
I would contact the manufacturer’s support and check if there is a BIOS update available for your model.