Complicated auto populate possible or not and if so how.

Solved/Closed
jmp2009 Posts 4 Registration date Saturday February 18, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 21, 2017 - Feb 18, 2017 at 09:58 AM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - Feb 22, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Hello, I'm using excel to schedule for my business, I have all the customer information on the first sheet and would like to auto populate the other sheets by selecting a certain day in a drop down menu if that is at all possible.

so when i select Monday from the service day column for a client, it will auto populate the Monday sheet with that clients information.

Thanks in advance.
Related:

5 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Feb 19, 2017 at 02:16 AM
Hello Jmp2009,

A Worksheet_Change event code should do the task for you. The code is as follows:-

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

On Error Resume Next

If Intersect(Target, Columns(9)) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Target.EntireRow.Copy Sheets(Target.Value).Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

When a day is selected from the dropdowns in any cell in Column I and then you click away (or press Enter or down arrow), the code will transfer the relevant row of data to its individual sheet.

To implement the code, right click on the main (input) sheet. From the menu that appears, select "view code" and in the big white field that then appears, paste the above code.

I've prepared a little example for you to play with at the following link:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6kx6d4qssjlir9/Jmp2009%28Master%20sht%20to%20multi%20shts%2C%20worksheet_change%20event%29.xlsm?dl=0

Let us know how it works for you.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
jmp2009 Posts 4 Registration date Saturday February 18, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 21, 2017
Feb 19, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Brilliant, thanks, is it possible that we can adjust the code so when I change the selection in Column "I" it will delete the previously copied data?
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Updated by vcoolio on 19/02/17 at 11:33 PM
Hello Jmp2009,

Yes. Can do. I assume that you mean you would like the data that has been transferred to its individual sheet deleted from the main sheet. Hence, the following minor adjustment to the code should do:-

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False

If Intersect(Target, Columns(9)) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Target.EntireRow.Copy Sheets(Target.Value).Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
Target.EntireRow.Delete

Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

You'll see that I've added the delete line of code and an events handler just to prevent the code from going into an endless loop.

I also forgot to mention in my earlier post that you need to make sure that Column I is always selected last, after all data has been entered for any particular row.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

P.S.: Here is the link to the updated sample:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6kx6d4qssjlir9/Jmp2009%28Master%20sht%20to%20multi%20shts%2C%20worksheet_change%20event%29.xlsm?dl=0
jmp2009 Posts 4 Registration date Saturday February 18, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 21, 2017
Feb 21, 2017 at 09:58 AM
This is great, I was using the first code on sheet 1 and the other code on all other sheets, was working great, then all of a sudden I am getting error 13 mismatch and I don't know why.
Feb 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM
I really appreciate all your help. Thanks again
Thanks so much. works perfect. Now i can spend less time typing new clients info in!
Feb 21, 2017 at 10:27 PM
Hello Jmp2009,

All sorted then including the little issue that arose?

Glad that I was able to help.

I am curious though. As the code is designed to transfer data from the main sheet to individual sheets depending on a criteria, why did you place the code in all the other sheet modules as well?

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Still have the little issue. It seems I can't use both codes on the same work sheet only one or the other.

To answer your question I wished to keep the first sheet as a master list. When I get a new customer I add it there. I wanted to be able to copy to the other sheets for service days and to be able to shuffle them around on those sheets as required. For example when their contract runs out I can move them to the expired sheet while the master is uneffected.

I just haven't been using the first code on the master anymore and it seems to work. I just have to copy and paste from Master to another sheet then I can transfer using the code you provided. No big deal.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Feb 22, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Hello Jmp2009,

I am somewhat confused as to what you are attempting. Yes, two separate Worksheet_Change events won't work in one sheet module. You also shouldn't be having to copy/paste manually anymore. You should only need to operate from your Master sheet as that is the purpose of this sheet.

Forget the first code all together and delete it from the sheet module. Just use the second code. You did place the code in a sheet module not a standard module?

In your dropdowns, add "Expired" to the list and make sure that your "Expired" sheet is spelt exactly the same. Once "Expired" is selected, the code will do the rest. If you are wanting to send completed contracts to the "Expired" sheet from the individual sheets, we may have to add a button to each sheet just for that purpose (or add an appropriate Worksheet_Change event code to each sheet module for that purpose).

Let us know your thoughts.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.