PC won't turn on at all

Solved/Closed
Nocta - Updated on Apr 11, 2017 at 09:12 PM
 Noctalia - Apr 19, 2017 at 07:12 AM
Hello,

Yesterday night, after a gaming session, I put my computer in sleep mode for the night. It worked fine last night, was displaying no problem at all.

Tonight, when I went to sit down, the LED indicating that my PC is running was on (it turns off when in sleep mode), but the fans weren't working, and my PC made no sound. I turned on my monitor, but it didn't detect my "running" PC. Pressed spacebar to wake my PC up, no reaction there either.

Held reset button for 5 second, PC "shuts down", or rather, the LED turned off.

Pressed power button, nothing happens.

My power supply seems to be working fine, as my printer's USB still lights up (the USB connected to my PC glows red to indicate that it's detecting power).

I'm not super great with computers, so I opened the case to see if anything had fried, but didn't touch anything since I'm clumsy.

Also, my understanding of computer language is pretty limited.

Any ideas of what my problem might be?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm on Windows 10.

Specs are the following.

Graphics Card: MSI GeForce 960 GTX

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GAH170M

PSC: Corsair GS700 700W

My PC was built during summer in 2016, has worked perfectly until now.
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Apr 12, 2017 at 04:33 AM
A bad power cable is not a common cause of a PC not turn on but it does happen and is very easy to test for. You can use the one that's powering your monitor as long as it seems to be getting power, one from another computer, or a new one.

1. Replace the CMOS battery, especially if your computer is more than a few years old or has spent a lot of time turned off or with the main battery removed. A bad CMOS battery is a relatively common cause of a computer that looks like it's not receiving power.

2. Make sure the power switch is connected to the motherboard if you're using a desktop. This is not a very common point of failure, but your PC might not be turning on because the power button isn't properly connected to the motherboard.

3. Test your power supply if you're using a desktop PC. At this point in your troubleshooting, at least for your desktop folks, it's very likely that the power supply unit in your computer is no longer working and should be replaced.
Thanks for the help! Turns out, the problem was with my motherboard. Apparently, after a bit of digging, the issue I had happened to other people with the same model of mobo that I have.