Lenovo Laptop will only type numbers (6 and 4)

Ask a question Maxx Anderson - Last answered on Jul 16, 2017 at 05:51 PM by Bird
Hello,
My Lenovo laptop will ONLY type 6's and 4's when I press letters on the keyboard. I've tried pressing the FN key with the NUM lock key to no avail.

Helpful
+0
plus moins
Can you test using an external USB keyboard? It's possible the internal keyboard has failed and needs to be replaced.
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Thanks for the suggestion. I HAVE tried the external USB keyboard and that keyboard DOES work, but it only works in ONE of the three USB ports on the Lenovo Edge 2-158 laptop which happens to be the USB port that the wireless mouse's fob is inserted in. I've since found that besides the entire keyboard only typing mostly 6's and sometimes 4's when you press ANY key that 1) the touch pad is inoperative, 2) only one of the three USB ports works, 3) when the laptop is unplugged / plugged in, it does NOT correctly display in the right corner of the task bar the battery power remaining or correct volume and 4) even after you've shutdown / powered off the laptop, the little light on the right side of the laptop still flashes as though the laptop is STILL on. This ALL just occurred on Sun 16 Apr 17 for the first time. This seems to be bigger than just the internal keyboard failing unless I have NO idea what I'm talking about.
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I had the same problem--a lot of problems cropped up simultaneously. (Only "6"s when typing, no speakers, fan constantly runs on high, power light constantly flashes, system thinks battery is at full power when it isn't).

The solution was to unplug the battery from the motherboard, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in. Got the idea here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Edge-2-1580-keyboard-will-only-type-a-6/td-p/2246102/page/2
Leave a comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?