Conditional format if hyperlink

Solved/Closed
Obonden - Apr 20, 2017 at 05:03 PM
 Blocked Profile - Apr 24, 2017 at 05:08 PM
Hello,
In my workbook I have conditional format background color is green if there are a certain value in the cell. The text in the cell has font color "automatic" = black. If I add a hyperlink to the cell, the text is underlined, but font color still is black, not blue as in the definition of style "Hyperlink". I want the text to be blue (and underlined). Could any please help me how to get around this? Are there any formula like "= ishyperlink(A1)"? (I tried that one. Didn't get any errormessage, but it didnt work :-))

Related:

3 responses

There is a rule set already built in. Take a look at the below example.

This will look for any text with the word SELECTED in it. Notice the "*".

It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney
Obonden Posts 7 Registration date Saturday March 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen April 24, 2017 1
Apr 22, 2017 at 01:26 AM
Hi, and thanks again. I really appreciate you try to help me!
I'm afraid I didn't explain good enough. My cell content is a date - not the hyperlinktext itself. I tried your solution, but couldn't get it to work. I guess the reason is my cell content.

What I think is strange is that when I apply a hyperlink to the cell, the text gets underlined. It is "on it's way" to be formated as hyperlink text usually it, but the blue color is missing. (The reason I stress this is that the underlining is not visible enough, so I would like the blue text in addition.) Another strange thing is that if I follow the link, the format in the cell changes to the format for "followed links".

(I have made an example, but I couldn't find out how to insert images here. You will find a shared image here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4bxs4o1wkomaElDa1F0VGlDX0E/view?usp=sharing
In that image cell A1, B3 and C5 is followed links.
In cell A2, B4 and C6 there are links which not have been followed.
Blocked Profile
Apr 24, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Did you understand my example? If not, then I am not certain not matter what you have posted, I can explain it right. I DO NOT provide cut and paste solutions, but try to post a very STURDY framework on which to build your solution!
Obonden Posts 7 Registration date Saturday March 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen April 24, 2017 1 > Blocked Profile
Apr 24, 2017 at 04:49 PM
Hi
May be I didn't understand your example, but as written in my comment above I didn't succeed making a "Format only cells that contain"-rule. Of what reason I don't know, but it might be because my cell information is a text (date), and not the hyperlinktext itself.
Obonden Posts 7 Registration date Saturday March 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen April 24, 2017 1
Updated on Apr 24, 2017 at 05:04 PM
Hi
You sounds like being angry at me? You shouldn't. I am very glad you made an effort solving my trouble, and I am sorry I didn't explain my problem sufficiently. It seems my problems is solved by using the Public Function defining a IsHyperlink-element. I really do not understand what this code is doing - but doesn't matter for me as long as it works, and I don't need to tell my boss I couldn't solve the problem. I surely have fun :-)
Blocked Profile
Apr 24, 2017 at 05:08 PM
IsHyperlink returns a True or False. It tests whether the text is constructed as a hyperlink. Take my example, and apply it to your model. The word SELECTED in my example, is what I was looking for. So, if you are looking for "How Now Brown Cow", then place that string into your formula. Let me know if that helps!
Create a function to check if the cell is a hyperlink:

Public Function IsHyperlink(aRng As Range) As Boolean
    IsHyperlink = CBool(aRng.Hyperlinks.Count)
End Function

e.g.
=IsHyperLink(A1)

You can use link any of the built-in functions.
Couldn't edit:
You can use like any of the built-in functions.
Apr 23, 2017 at 03:43 PM
Bingo! The "Public Function" solved my trouble! Thanks a lot!
Blocked Profile
Apr 21, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Ok, write another rule that checks the value of the cell, not just if there is one. Change the cell text format to change to blue if the text contains a value like: "http://".

Give that a try.
Apr 21, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Hi
Thanks, but I'm not able to set this up:
I really feel like an amateur when I have to ask what operator is used for "contains"? I have browsed for it, but have not been able to find it. According to your suggestion the formula should be like = A1 = "http://", but that expression would only be True when the cell content is exactly like "http://" (and nothing more), as "=" operator means "like", and not "contains"?