Need Help creating an IF THEN scenario

Solved/Closed
blakerwilson Posts 4 Registration date Friday April 28, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2017 - May 1, 2017 at 12:03 PM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - May 10, 2017 at 08:28 PM
Hello,

I am looking for some help with a problem. I have a big list of items within Excel and I am wanting to consolidate the big list of items down to a small set of items my department will handle.

What I am looking to do is similar to an IF/THEN statement where IF I put an 'X' in any cell in column 'B', THEN Excel will take the entire content of the row and populate the data of that row in a different sheet.

Let's say I wanted to start a zoo and I had a list of all the different types of animals available, I want to be able to go through that list and simply put that 'X' in column B and have the rest of the information about that animal show up on a separate sheet so I can look as if I know WAY more about the animal than I really do...

COLUMN A would be the list of animals.
COLUMN B would be my area to put the X to identify That is the animal I want in my Zoo
COLUMNS C-E would be all the supporting information about these animals.

I am happy to provide all of the made up data if someone would be willing to tell me how I would bend Excel to my need.

I am new to this and would be very happy to put this sample Excel doc out on a Google Drive or some sort of cloud drive if it is needed.

Thanks!
Blake

4 responses

Blocked Profile
May 1, 2017 at 04:58 PM
The if statement syntax is as follows:
=IF(logic_test,true,false)

So, with that in mind and considering Cell A1="hi".

If we have in cell B1:
=if(A1="hi","the word hi is there","some other word is there")
...would produce "the word hi is there" in cell B1

SO, use that as an example, and have a go. You can nest if then statments, as in:
=IF(logic_test#1,if(LogicTest#2if#1IsTrue,"TRUE FOR BOTH","true for one not for two"),"false for one")
I hope this helps.

Have a go!
blakerwilson Posts 4 Registration date Friday April 28, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2017
May 2, 2017 at 01:11 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of implementing something like a VLOOKUP scenario in which the new sheet would look in a specific column on the MASTER SHEET for something like an 'X' and if it saw an 'X', it would put the information from the specified cell into that new worksheet. I understand that I would need to put that VLOOKUP formula into each cell in order to get the information you need but I am having problems with getting the formula to work correctly and I am stumped. I may have led you astray with the idea of an IF statement and for that I am sorry...
Blocked Profile
May 2, 2017 at 04:42 PM
if you need help combining functions, let us know. Could use AND, If and Vlookup. Let us know!

Have fun!
blakerwilson Posts 4 Registration date Friday April 28, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2017
May 2, 2017 at 05:15 PM
here is a link to my fake document... Please let me know if it helps fill in what I am trying to do.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ZUqlS0WQfUV21PVVpyR2hJQWc/view?usp=sharing
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
May 3, 2017 at 04:19 AM
Hello Blake,

You could try a macro code for this also. Assign the following code to a button and see if it does the task for you. The code is untested so test it in a copy of your work book first.

Sub TransferData()

Dim lr As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheet1.Range("A1", Sheet1.Range("A" & Sheet1.Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).AutoFilter 1, "X", 7
  lr = Sheet1.Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    If lr > 1 Then
      Sheet1.Range("B2", Sheet1.Range("E" & Sheet1.Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Copy
        Sheet2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2).PasteSpecial xlValues
             Sheet2.Columns.AutoFit
         End If
Sheet1.[A1].AutoFilter

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

On clicking on the button, the code filters Column A on sheet 1 for the criteria "X" (as per your sample) and will then transfer the relevant rows of data (from Column B to Column E) to sheet 2.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
May 3, 2017 at 06:07 AM
Greetings again Blake,

Another method that you may find simpler is a Worksheet_Change event (no buttons required). The code is as follows:-

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Value = vbNullString Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, Columns("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

If Target.Value = "X" Then
        Target.EntireRow.Copy Sheet2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
        End If

Sheet2.Columns.AutoFit

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

With this code, each time that you place an "X" in Column A and then click away (or press enter or down arrow), the relevant row of data will be transferred to Sheet 2. The "X" must be your last entry per row.

To implement this code:-

- Right click on the Sheet1 tab.
- From the menu that appears, select "view code".
- In the big white field that then appears, paste the above code.

Return to Sheet1 (your input sheet) and test it. But, again, remember to test the code in a copy of your work book first.

Just another option.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
May 3, 2017 at 10:29 AM
that might be easier... I am guessing I could replace X with YES or something that would mean something to others using this sheet?

Thanks for your help. The first solution seems to work and I will try the second because I like that idea of eliminating the button.
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259 > blakerwilson Posts 4 Registration date Friday April 28, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2017
May 4, 2017 at 03:06 AM
No worries Blake. Glad that I was able to help.

Yes, you can replace the "X" with any criteria that you like. Just change it in the codes above.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Blocked Profile
May 5, 2017 at 07:56 PM
Once again, vcoolio, so elegant!
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259 > Blocked Profile
May 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM
G'day Mark,

I'm glad that you approve! Hopefully, Blake is no longer in a pickle.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
I just heard back from the group I am working with and they would like me to modify this code a bit. Instead of a YES, they would like to copy that row to another sheet if there is anything in that cell...

If Target.Value = "YES" Then
Target.EntireRow.Copy Sheet2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
End If

is that doable? and if so, what do I need to put in the code to make this work?

Great job on this by the way!
May 10, 2017 at 08:28 PM
Hello Blake,

Change this line :-

If Target.Value = "YES" Then 

to
If Target.Value <> "" Then

This will allow you to place any value in Column A. Make sure that everyone is aware that the criteria needs to be the last entry in any row.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.