Can log in, desktop wallpaper only, no icons, desktop/taskbar un

Ask a question DavidWoo 1Posts Sunday May 14, 2017Registration date May 14, 2017 Last seen
Hello

I am running an hp desktop. I am able to log in, and my desktop wallpaper comes up, though I can no longer see any icons on the desktop. Just getting to this point takes a long time. When I right click on the desktop, it acts like Windows Explorer just crashed: the desktop goes black for a few moments, then comes back to the wallpaper and task bar.

The taskbar is unresponsive. When I click anywhere on the taskbar, it gives me the blue "waiting" circle, but then the screen goes black again and returns to wallpaper only.

If I leave it alone, it seems to go simply through a cycle of "Windows Explorer crashing" (going black for a few moments), and then having the wallpaper come back up.

None of the videos I have seen about boot up problems with Windows 10 ever talk about getting to the point of being able to login. Any help you have would be appreciated.

EDIT: I can hit control-alt-delete and bring up the Security Options screen, and task manager tells me that my CPU vacillates between 1 to 5%, memory is at approximately 30%, 100% disk (with application values that don't look like they total up to that), and 0% Network. Continued issues with Explorer desktop resetting, but I don't know what to make of the vacillating values in the task manager.
See more 

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?