Error start windows

Closed
Mehul5555 - Updated on Jun 6, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Jun 7, 2017 at 04:08 AM
Hello,

I am reinstalling windows XP Pro on my Dell laptop. Also I dont have the original dell disks that came with the computer, but a Windows CD and a boot disk the i downloaded from microsoft.

I decided to reformat my computer and start fresh, as I have done before, I cleared the partitions and did everything normal and right, and it seemed to all be going ok. Then it goes to finish setup and I get this error.

E:\WINDOWS\system32\presetup.cmd - FILE NOT FOUND!
E:\WINDOWS\system32\setupORG.exe - FILE NOT FOUND!
(setupORG.exe ->Original windows Setup.exe)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POSSIBLE CAUSE:
1."Preset.cmd" not exist in the i386 folder in UXPCD
"setupORG.exe" not exist in the i386 folder in UXPCD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. Check your "txtsetup.sif" in the i386 folder on UXPCD
---Txtsetup.sif---------------------------
[SourceDiskFiles]
setupORG.exe=1,,,,,,,,2,0,0 ; must exist
prestup.cmd =1,,,,,,,,2,0,0 ; must exist
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SETUP ABORT

I have tried to boot from the install or recovery disk, but no matter what I do, I always end up back at this spot, I cant get the option to reinstall windows or anything. I also cant find any way to get a command prompt to maybe manually get things fixed in there. Any help on how I can get my computer would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,173
Jun 6, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Hi

XP is no longer supported, so trying to install it is looking for trouble, expecially that service packs 2 and 3 are no longer available.

Using a boot disk that you have downloaded is also a mistake because it's not for XP.

The best you could have done was to reset the computer to the out of the box factory settings, but then again you are asking for trouble and headaches.

Regards
How can reset computer box settings
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,173
Jun 7, 2017 at 04:08 AM