Conditional formatting rule

Closed
Almunda Posts 1 Registration date Saturday June 24, 2017 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2017 - Jun 24, 2017 at 05:53 AM
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 - Jun 26, 2017 at 04:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me to set up a conditional formatting rule for a cell that may contain any text that has not already been specified in a drop down list? For example, if I choose "Apples", "Oranges" or "Pears" the cell changes colour depending on conditional formatting rules already specified BUT HOW could I get the cell to turn consistently to one other colour if I typed in anything other than those fruits mentioned above? In other words, what formula should I use if I wanted the cell to turn Purple if I typed in "Grapes" or "Kiwis"?

2 responses

Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Jun 24, 2017 at 08:18 AM
Almunda, Good morning.

Your explanation is a bit confusing to me.

I'll give you a hint about what I understood that is your question.
If not, please explain it in a more explicit way.

Suppose:

List of Items --> A1:A6 --> Range named = FRUITS
A1 --> APPLES
A2 --> ORANGES
A3 --> PEARS
A4 --> AVOCADOS
A5 --> CHERRIES
A6 --> PEACHS

Cell to be checked --> D1

1. Select the D1 cell (the cell you want to change the colour)
2. Conditional Formatting ----> New Rule ----> Use a formula to determine which cells to format.
3. Format values where this format is true ---->
=COUNTIF(FRUITS, D1)=0
4. Select Fill Colour that you want.
OK

Please, tell us if it worked for you.
I hope it helps.

Have a nice day!
--
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão
Obrigado Mazzaropi! Your suggestion was really helpful. It took me a little while to get it to work but got there in the end. Very grateful, Almunda
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Jun 26, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Almunda, Good evening.

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to have helped you in your work.
--
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão