External Hard Drive Issue

Closed
JoeyJoeJoeJunior Posts 1 Registration date Monday July 17, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 17, 2017 - Jul 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Rosely88 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 17, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 18, 2017 - Jul 18, 2017 at 03:05 AM
Hello,

I have a 3 TB Seagate External Hard Drive filled with extremely important and Valuable
material. Normally when I connect it to my laptop via USB, open windows explorer, click My Computer, it shows up as a drive named "Seagate 3TB.....". When I click on that I have access to all my files I have saved on this drive for the last couple years. Now the issue.

Starting yesterday, when I open Windows Explorer and click my computer the drive does not come up as "seagate 3 TB....". The only things that appear are the C: drive and now a D: ddrive in place of where the seagate normally is. I tried uninstalling the drivers and re-installing, and that did nothing.

I am hoping..........praying.......someone can help me out in recovering the information I have on this drive. Is it possible the external hard drive got a virus on it?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. i AM LITERALLY PHYSICALLY ILL OVER THIS. Either way I have learned my lesson and will never ever not have all my files backed up.

Thank You so much!

Joseph
Related:

2 responses

nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:02 AM
Hi,

Just extract that drive from the existing system and connect it to another system to see if the drive starts getting visible normally.

Rosely88 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 17, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 18, 2017
Jul 18, 2017 at 03:05 AM
The USB cable might be bad - Try a different cable.
The USB port you are using may be bad - Try a different port on the system.
The Drive needs more power than your port is able to offer - Try using an external powered USB hub or power supply for the drive.
Your external hard drive may be dead or not be compatible with macOS – Try connecting it to PC computer.