Repeating a simple macro loop up to 1,500 times

Solved/Closed
shassall Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 17, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 18, 2017 - Updated on Jul 18, 2017 at 02:40 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Jul 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM
Hi All,

Office 2013 user here with a first time macro question...

I have a large XLSM file with simple text labels in Column A. There are 1,500 records and each record is grouped in 4 consecutive cells (A1,A2,A3,A4) with a space between each record.

I'm trying to create a simple database file where each of the data points is arranged on the same line (i.e. A1/B1/C1/D1) etc.

I recorded a simple test macro which goes through 4 loops to move the data the way I want. But I don't know how to keep the loop running for all the records in the total database.

I was excited that I figured out how to do a simple test loop, and it went through the 4 data records that I recorded, but not sure how to specify that it loops 1,500 times until it acts upon all the records in the current database.

I should mention that I don't know VBA.

Any help is truly greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Steve
Related:

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Hi Steve,

The code below will transpose your grouped data to columns B:E. You can then manually delete column A, to shift all data to the left. Or you can remove the apostrophe in front of code line 11 to let the code remove it for you.

Here is the code:
Sub RunMe()
Dim x, y As Integer
x = 1
y = 1
Do
    Range(Cells(x, "A"), Cells(x + 3, "A")).Copy
    Range("B" & y).PasteSpecial Transpose:=True
    x = x + 5
    y = y + 1
Loop Until Cells(x, "A") = vbNullString
'Columns("A").Delete
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

Hopefully this will get you excited again!

Best regards,
Trowa
shassall Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 17, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 18, 2017
Jul 18, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Hi Trowa,

WOW! I am sure I would not have known how to do this, so thank you very much for your quick response. I will try it tonight and report back....

I'll assume rhetorically, that I should create a macro and paste this code into it? If I get stuck, I'll ask another question.

Thanks!
Steve
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM
Hi Steve,

In case you get stuck on that:

How to implement and run a code:

- From Excel hit Alt + F11 to open the “Microsoft Visual Basic” window.
- Go to the top menu in the newly opened window > Insert > Module.
- Paste the code in the big white field.
- You can now close this window.
- Back at Excel, hit Alt + F8 to display the available macro’s.
- Double-click the macro you wish to run.
NOTE: macro’s cannot be reversed using the blue arrows. Always make sure you save your file (or create a back up to be entirely sure) before running a code, so you can re-open your file if something unforeseen happens or you want to go back to the situation before the code was run.
Thanks Trowa!

I opened the existing macro that I had created to run four manual loops and overwrote that code with your macro. It worked perfectly!!!! (Of course you knew that! :-)

Thank you so much, I couldn't have figured this out without your help...and I'm somewhat of an Excel guru...just not a macro guru!

Steve
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM
Awesome Steve!

And be careful, before you know it you are sucked into the world of macro's!!! ;)