After years of rumors, Nintendo has confirmed that its next console and Zelda video game will launch in 2017.
(CCM) — On Wednesday, Nintendo released its fiscal year earnings report and, with it, some new insight into the company's upcoming plans. "For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed 'NX' with a brand new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally," said the company in its report. Nintendo is not shying away from this launch date, also tweeting about the NX's planned arrival: "The next generation of #Nintendo is coming March 2017! #NX." Many had believed that Nintendo would unveil the long-awaited console at E3 this year, but fans will have to wait a little longer. Nintendo said that it will pick another date to go into detail on the upcoming NX system, which it says will not simply replace the 3DS or Wii U.
In addition to announcing the upcoming launch of the NX, Nintendo revealed that it has pushed back the launch of its highly-anticipated, open-world Legend of Zelda game. The Zelda game was briefly unveiled in a cinematic trailer at E3 2014, but, since then, the only news has been on the game's delay. In March 2015, series producer Eiji Aonuma said that the game needed work but would ship during the 2016 holiday period. Now, according to Nintendo's earnings report, the game will be delayed until 2017. The upcoming Legend of Zelda game is expected to launch for the new NX system, as well as the Wii U. Nintendo will say more on the game at E3 in June.
Photo: © iStock.