Before beginning the execution of the work, it is necessary to take the time to break the project down into tasks in order to plan the performance of these tasks and determine what resources need to be mobilized. The following tools and methos are generally used:
- The task chart, sometimes called the technical project chart, which allows the project to be broken down into elementary tasks (itemization).
- The Pert method allows the tasks to be organized to optimize their integration,
- A GANTT chart allows you to make a graphic representation of the development of a project and determine its progress.
It is the contractor's responsibility to put in place procedures that will assure the quality of the project.
This is the stage of development of the work itself. This stage is the responsibility of the contractor, supervised by the client. During the execution of the work, emphasis should be placed on communication in order to make decisions as quickly of possible if problems arise. Thus, the project can be accelerated by setting up a communication plan, e.g., through:
- the use of a dashboard that graphically displays the results of the project, allowing the project manager to arbitrate in the case of deviations.
- a progress report that allows all involved in the project to be informed of the actions in progress and completed. Generally, "reporting" includes the entire preparation and submission of activity reports.
Furthermore, meetings should be regularly organized (weekly, preferably) in order to manage the project team, i.e., regularly discuss the progress of the project and determine the priorities for the following weeks.
Documentation must accomany the work at delivery. Documentation is often incomplete or outdated; however, it is one of the essential facets of the work, as it constitutes the reference point on the work after it is executed.
Once the work has been performed, it is a good idea for the contractor to make sure that it meets the specifications. Unit tests refer to the validation, by the contractor, of the conformity of the product with each of the provisions of the specifications.