is a utility that can help you fight against malicious programs such as viruses, malware, trojans, etc. It has been designed by McAfee, Inc.
- Detection: Stinger is a utility that can detect malicious programs that may infect your machine. With a database that is updated regularly, this tool can identify more than 2,000 types of viruses, trojans and their variants.
- Customizable scan: by default, the software is designed to scan rootkits, pre-loaded modules, registers and directories that may contaminate the computer system. But if you want to add a drive or a folder to the scan, just show it the way to the target.
- Configurable: Stinger offers options that you can modify according to your preferences. For instance, you can decide to analyze or not the sub-directories and archives; you can also set the desired level of analysis (fast, medium, depth, etc.), display or not the list of scanned files, choose the action to perform when a virus is detected: rename, repair, delete, etc.
- Portable: in addition of being free, Stinger is also a tool that requires no installation and you can bring it everywhere via a USB stick. However, using a permanent antivirus protection is always recommended.
- Stinger is entirely downloadable for free and effective.
- Cannot totally replace standard antivirus.
Latest update on January 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM.