The screen goes black when the computer starts
1. The computer emits a single short beep
If the PC seems to run fine (hard drive indicator is working, noise, etc..), It is probably one of the following problems:
- The cable connecting the monitor and the CPU is not connected (or disconnected), or damaged. Check connections.
- Your screen is damaged or disconnected. Try it on another computer. If the problem persists, we will have to consider replacing it.
2. The PC will beep several times
- This is a hardware problem! Refer to the next page to know the meaning of beeps after the identifying your BIOS (refer to the manual of the motherboard):
3. The PC does not beep
- This is a major hardware problem! Either the motherboard or processor (CPU) is out of order. It will be necessary to try the processor on another motherboard to
determine (with a specialist) if it is still working.
However, in rare cases it may be that the "beeper" of the PC is faulty, in which case you might see some disk activity.
If the screen is black when loading Windows
- It is likely a problem related to the graphics card.
- It is best to start in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key at startup (before the Windows logo appears).
- Once safe mode loaded, remove the graphics card driver, then reinstall the latest driver (or one that worked previously).
- If this does not work, think to uninstall devices recently installed before the crash!
If the screen is black at the launch of an application (such as a game)
- First check the recommended minimum for the game. Try closing unnecessary applications running in the background.
- Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date and that the latest version of DirectX installed.
- If possible, lower the game display configuration (resolution, color depth).
- Check out if there is any patch for the game to solve the problem (on the publisher's site).
- This may finally be due to using a pirated version of the game!
- Hardware - Black screen at standby or startup
- Black screen with cursor on startup - How-To - Monitor
- Compaq presario black screen on startup - Forum - Laptop
- Dell inspiron 15 7000 black screen on startup ✓ - Forum - Laptop
- Dell inspiron 15 5000 black screen on startup ✓ - Forum - Laptop
- Dell Inspiron laptop will not start up ✓ - Forum - Laptop