- TrueCrypt is a software allowing you to protect data by encrypting them.
- Besides being stable, it available for Linux and Windows platforms.
- TrueCrypt is not available in the Ubuntu repositories.
- Go download http://www.truecrypt.org/
- Choose package depending on your distribution.
- Recover the file truecrypt-4.3a-ubuntu-7.04-x86.tar.g and decompress the file .
- Open the folder created and double-click the .deb file and click on Install package
Creating an encrypted volume
Type: TrueCrypt-c mydrive.tc
Volume type: Press Enter
Filesystem: Press Enter
Hash algorithm: Press Enter
Encryption algorithm: Press Enter
Enter password for new volume 'mydrive': Enter the password of your choice.
Re-enter password: Re-enter password
Enter keyfile path [none]: Press Enter
Please type at least 320 randomly chosen characters and then press Enter:
Pressing random keys and press Enter. (If there are not enough characters, TrueCrypt will ask again).
Then, the disc will be created.
Mounting an encrypted disk
john @ ubuntu: ~ $ TrueCrypt mydisk.tc-u ~ / myfiles
Enter John's or system's root password:
Enter password for '/ home / john / mydisk.tc':
- You can read and write files with
~ / mydisk
Unmounting the encrypted disk
TrueCrypt-d ~ / myfiles
- Or if you want to unmount all disk