Here are some tips for FreeMind
users for greater efficiency through daily use of the program:
- Always open: Always leave FreeMind open.
- Close the items/branches that are not related current context. Only keep branches that are likely to be useful, right now. (Too much information kills information.) Do not hesitate to open/close branches in order to have a view that corresponds to your current task.
- Any new idea or thing to do must immediately be noted (press the Insert key once and type your text: No matter where you type the text you can move it later.).
- Keep it short: Ideally, one word per sheet of your tree. Long texts should only be placed in the terminal leaves.
- Rearrange/sort items: Move the information where it should be, rearrange them.
- Highlight: Use visual cues: fonts, colors, icons, cloud.
- Review the open branches several times a day and over again.
- Regularly update the information
- Highlight the information deemed as importan
- Delete the obsolete ones
- Every week, review your entire mind-map
- Make backup copies of your mindmap
All this information may seem cumbersome, but if you do not apply these rules, your mindmap may become obsolete.