By default , upon right-cliking on an MSI file, the "Run as administrator" is missing. To have it back in the context menu:
- Open the registry:
- Click on Start > Run > type regedit
- Scroll to: HKEY > CLASSES > ROOT > Msi.Package > Shell
- Click on the Edit menu > New > Key
- Rename it as "runas"
- Double click the Default value.
- Enter the text " Run as administrator" and click OK.
- Select the runas key . Click the Edit menu, click New > Key.
- Rename it as "command"
- Double click on Default value.
- Enter the command msiexec /i "% 1" and click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor.
As from now each time you right click on an MSI file , the "Run as administrator" option will be present.
This document, titled « Windows XP - Running MSI files as administrator », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM