Microsoft Outlook and Thunderbird
are among the most popular email client softwares used across the world. Both of them come with built-in features that allow users to set automatic messages during your absence from work.
Enable Automatic Replies under Outlook
- Click the File menu > Info
- Click on Automatic Replies (Out of Office).
- Check Send Automatic Replies
- From there you can define a time range for the automatic replies by checking the "Only send during this time range" options
- In the other case, automatic replies will be send until the "Do not send automatic replies" option is checked.
- You can also define, the type of users who will recieve these messages:
- Inside My Organization
- Outside My Organization
- Save your settings.
Enable Automatic Replies under Mozilla ThunderBird
The procedure is slightly more complicated with Mozilla Thunderbird.
You must first create a new message, then save as a template, such as "Summer Holidays"
Then, open the Tools > Message Filters > New and then complete the following fields:
- Give a name to your filter (e.g "Summer Holidays")
- Apply Filter > When receiving mail
- Select the "validate all the following conditions"
- Add condition "From" > "Does not contain" > "noreply" to avoid sending an automatic reply to automated messages.
- Click on the + button to add the second condition: "From" "Contains no" "no-reply".
- Perform these actions > Reply with Template
- Select the "Summer Holidays" template, create earlier.
This document, titled « Automatic replies under Outlook/Thunderbird », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM