If an individual has recently graduated from an older version of Microsoft Office to Microsoft 2010, they might have to deal with a problem whereby the Office 2010 in Office software is unable to open any of their previous files . To resolve this issue, all one has to do is go to the Start menu and type 'Default programs' in the tab and hit Enter. A window with an option of 'Associate a file type with a protocol or program' will open with the particular Office software. One needs to change the .docx and .xlsx options to MS Word and MS Excel respectively. This should effectively resolve the problem.
I've downloaded (automatic download) Office 2010 and it's not opening any of my files unless I select 'open with' for each file.
- Click on startmenu and type:
- "Default programs" and press ENTER
- Click on Associate a file type with a protocol or program
- Right-click on:
- Click on change program
- Change it to Microsoft Word and Excel
- Repeat operation for the other Office softwares.
Thanks to sundar7701
for this tip.