I have an Dell Inspiron E1705 and the recovery partition is corrupted. I want to have a fresh installation of Windows on my PC back. Whant can be done ?
First make sure you have your documents backed up before beginning as you will lose everything.
Assuming your recovery partition has not been damaged (if it has, this will not work)
- Download Hiren's BootCD from https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
- Burn Hiren's BootCD to a CD
- Put the Hiren's BootCD into CD Drive and Reboot computer
- Select "Mini XP" from the menu
- Double click on "My Computer"
- Identify the partition that you use for your operating system
- Right click on that partition and select "Format" to ensure a clean install
- Identify the recovery partition and go to the "Imaging" folder
- Right click on the "Imaging" folder and select "Command Prompt Here"
- At the command prompt type (substituting c for your particular recovery partition and e for the partition that you use for your operating system)
- imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 e:\
- After the image is successfully applied, close the command prompt.
- Close "My Computer"
- Remove Hiren's BootCD from CD Drive
- Reboot computer
- Your computer should now be reset to factory.
And as a bonus, if you try and use the Dell DataSafe Restore it will be there now!
Thanks to George Crothers for this tip.
- Dell Inspiron E1705 - Recovery partition damaged
- Dell inspiron one recovery - How-To - Laptop computer
- Dell inspiron 15 recovery - How-To - Laptop computer
- Dell inspiron n5110 recovery ✓ - Forum - Windows 7
- Dell inspiron 14 recovery mode ✓ - Forum - Hardware
- Dell inspiron 1525 recovery - Forum - Windows