one at a time is yet another time-consuming task that can be easily substituted by the Multiple File Renaming system. Under this system the files can be renamed in a batch which is much more convenient. The built-in integrants that Windows XP boasts of allows you to rename multiple files in pre-determined batches. These features are basic and uncomplicated in constitution. Windows XP facilitate easy and mass renaming of files with the simple use of the Explorer. The F2 key also plays a role in this simple two-step process; pressing F2 along with 'Enter' does the job.
Renaming numerous files one by one can be tedious and time consuming. The effort required for this task can be reduced by renaming multiple files in batch for Windows XP.
This document discusses the native features of Windows which permit the user to rename files in one go using the Explorer and the F2 key. There is another program called Ant Renamer through which you can achieve your goal of renaming multiple files at once. Other programs featured here are Lupas Rename, Rename and Metamorphose.
Renaming a large number of files can quickly become tedious. Fortunately, there are tools to automate this task in many cases:
Native features under Windows
On Windows XP and later versions of Windows, it is possible to rename multiple files at once via Explorer by selecting the files to rename, then pressing the F2 key.
Just type in a new name and press Enter. All files will be renamed and then followed by an incremented number in brackets.
For renaming the files, you can simply create a batch and rename them as per your requirement. Therefore the files can be renamed by changing the event or the extension, removing or replacing a string and also by setting time stamps.
Using a third-party program
The software Ant Renamer allows renaming many files and folders with a few clicks. Its main features:
- Change extension
- Replacing strings with others
- Inserting a string
- Move Character
- Remove several characters
- Creation of names from MP3 Tag (ID v1.1)
- Creation of names from the date and time of modification of the file
- Random Names
- Change the word case (uppercase, lowercase, first letter of each word in uppercase etc.)
- Based on a list of names or a file
- Use of images EXIF info
- Expressions (regular expressions)
Lupas Rename proposes renaming features:
- Rename files in recursive subdirectories
- Integration with Shell Integration (right click on a folder)
- Insert characters before or after filename
- Convert to uppercase or lowercase
- Conversion of the first letter in uppercase or lowercase
- Remove accented characters
The Rename offers advanced features for those who want to rename files:
- Rename a series of files with a counter: pict0001.jpg, pict0002.jpg, pict0003.jpg etc.
- Rename files so that the prefix is capitalized and the extension in lowercase
- Conversion of file names in lowercase
- Rename your images with their height and width
- Rename all of your audio files (MP3, VQF, OGG and WMA) by using their internal tag
- Use the tags (EXIF) to rename photos
- Removal of spaces in names
- Support for long names
- Add a counter to the purpose at the beginning or replace the prefix and/or suffix (in decimal, hexadecimal or octal)
- Invert the case of letters
- Search and replace words or characters alone
- Possibility to call the program from Windows Explorer with right-click
- Remove extension
Metamorphose is free software for mass renaming of files and directories (batch processing) with the following features:
- Preview every item to be renamed before applying changes
- Renamed recursive (in directories and subdirectories)
- Ability to undo changes in case of error
- Support for regular expressions
- Ability to rename MP3 files according to their ID3 tags
- Ability to rename images according to EXIF tags
- Full support of Unicode (all accented characters of all languages can be used)