A content management software, (or "CMS") can design and update a website, without the use of any programming code. "Open source" means that we can freely access the software.
Why use a content management system for your professional website?
CMS are the foremost tools for corporate communication (Internet or external). Once the system is operational, employees can access the website, provide content, and possibly interact with prospects using dynamic tools such as discussion forums, newsletters, comments, articles, etc
The CMS is suitable for professionals who want to quickly modify and enrich the content of their web pages.
Benefits of CMS
- No installation on the computer is required: the content management system does not operate from your PC (accessed via a web browser).
- Compatibility with all operating systems. CMS is also accessible from any web browser.
- Ease of management and administration. Authorized users can publish content (articles) through an interface simple and independent.
- Free: no license fee for some CMS (Open Source).
- Save time: you can create your site using templates to format pre-existing.
- Ability to work simultaneously on several on the same platform .
- Reactivity: The CMS facilitate relationships with customers and stakeholders.
- The CMS is closely linked to the constraints of publishing. You will need an editorial and define a charter (what types of issues, types of publications, etc.).
- You may need to take the time to train stakeholders on drafting techniques.
- If using a content management system is simple, but the installation and configuration requires the intervention of a professional.
The main content management systems
Features of content management systems
The CMS share some essential characteristics:
To add content to your website, each CMS has a web interface accessible with a browser. All documents are stored in a database that manages the autonomous changes in real time (publication of an article, registration of a user of the forum, etc..)
Separation between form and content
When you add content, its form (style) is already configured. Each document type (article, image) has its own architecture (title, legend, etc..), Which determines the layout of the content on the page.
Simplified data integration
The integration of products / data to the console is simplified. It is done using a keypad with icons similar to those of word processing (eg bold, italics, etc.).. It is possible to view the article in its final form before the start line.
To these three major functions are added several options for the storage of information (author, modified date, category), which allow to classify them and find them quickly.
How to choose the right content management system?
To make an informed choice, you should take into account three criteria.
- The type of communication project. Do you just want to publish information, set up online shop, Internet users to participate, setting up an intranet. In other words, you must define the complexity of your project.
- Features of the CMS. What are the features offered by the CMS and what are the features that you require for your project?
- Popularity of the CMS. CMS are expanded and enriched by a community of users..The larger the community is, the more you'll benefit.
This document, titled « Open Source CMS - Manage your websites », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM