You bought a new hard drive but it doesn't appear in My Computer?
It needs to be initialized and formatted for the first time.
Initializing the HDD
This trick works in Windows XP and Vista:
- Connect the hard drive, and wait for the automatic installation of drivers.
- On the Start menu, right-click My Computer (Computer)> Manage
- Click Disk Management
- The Initialization Wizard should launch automatically, otherwise right-click the new disk> Initialize Disk
- Leave the settings as such, and click OK
- That the disc is initialized. But it is still unusable. It must be partitioned.
Creating new partitions and formatting
To do this, you have two options:
- In the management of records, right-click unallocated space> New simple volume
- Click Next
- Choose the size of the new partition and click Next
- Choose the letter to assign to this new partition and click Next
- Choose the file system (NTFS on Windows is the most recommended).
- Check the "Perform a quick format"
- Do not touch the other settings.
- Click Next
- Click Finish
- Please wait while formatting the partition.
- Repeat the same steps if you want to create multiple partitions.
- That is, your disc is ready for use.
You have to use Gparted : http://ccm.net/download/download 3489 gparted