You are playing your favorite game and your computer shuts down, restarts or freezes ... quite annoying.
This generally comes from overheating of the processor or the graphics card, or a video card not powerful enough to run the games, obsolete hardware or drivers..
- You can check if your computer is not overheating by using the following softwares
- In all cases clean the fans of your PC.
- If the cleaning of the fans is not enough and the CPU overheats, consider changing the thermal paste between the CPU and fan.
- It is possible to add other fans to better ventilate the computer, make use of a better cooling system or even leave the PC case open!
- If your graphics card/CPU are overheating, you need:
- Reduce the load on the graphics card: lower resolution and details, disable anti-aliasing ..
- Force frequencies of the GPU and graphics memory via the utility software of your graphics card(increase the rotation speed of the fan). More information here.
Graphics card/processor don't meet minimum requirements
Generally this is the graphics card that is the main cause.
- Read this FAQ Check compatibility of a game online.
- If your graphics card/processor are outdated:
- Reduce the load on the graphics card .
- Force frequencies of the GPU and graphics memory via the utility software of your graphics card.
- Replace these components.
System/driver not updated
- Update your operating system.
- Update the driver for your video card to see if there are any improvements.
When using a custom built PC , it may happents that your power supply is able to power your hardware when used to their maximum limit! You should consider getting a better one.
This document, titled « The image freezes when playing games: What can be done? », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM