Microsoft has announced the completion of the Windows version 8 RTM (Release to Manufacturing), which implies the termination of the development and testing phase of the operating system. The new Microsoft OS, and the first devices with W8, will be available as from October 26.
Microsoft has stated in an official statement that "the RTM version of Windows 8 will be available before the end of the month for certain categories of users including developers, IT professionals and partners" , here below are some key dates related to this event:
- August 15: Developers working on new applications for Windows 8 may download the final version of Windows 8 via an MSDN subscription and get the latest version of Visual Studio 2012 on the Windows Dev center.
- August 15: The IT professionals who are testing Windows 8 will have access to the latest version of Windows 8 via a TechNet subscription.
- August 16: Users who have subscribed to the Software Assurance program for Windows can download the Enterprise Edition of Windows 8 (Volume License Service Center (VLSC)), allowing them to test and start deploying Windows 8.
- August 20: The Microsoft Action Pack Solution Providers (MAPS) will have access to Windows 8.
- September 1: The volume license users without Software Assurance will be able to acquire Windows 8 through the Microsoft Volume License Resellers.