Super grub disk is used to repair grub
and restore original MBR, so that the disk does not get damaged once the Linux partition is formatted. Super Grub can be downloaded for free and then burned to a CD to make a Super Grub disk live CD
.The live CD can be used to repair grub by fixing the boot of GNU Linux. The Super Grub disk can be used to restore MBR back to Windows, if the user wishes to leave the GNU Linux OS and install Windows. Before formatting the Linux partition, the Super Grub disk live CD
has to be used to restore the original MBR
Super Grub Disk is used to repair Grub and the MBR and reinstall on another partition.
It can also restore the original MBR, uninstalling Grub for users wishing to leave GNU/Linux, without risk of making the computer unusable after formatting the Linux partition.
You can download Super Grub Disk at this address:
Select the most recent .iso
You can also download versions for other media (e.g. USB memory stick or floppy disk) here: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
Using Super Grub
Launch of Super Grub Disk
- Start your computer from the Super Grub Disk CD.
- Select "Super Grub Disk" from the list and click OK. Then select the language.
- Some details are displayed, including an explanation of the main menu in text mode, click OK to continue.
- From the main menu for Super Grub Disk, select "GNU / Linux".
- Then "Fix boot of GNU/linux"
- A message will indicate that the operation was successful; Super Grub Disk will detect your installation of Linux and reinstall GRUB on MBR using the configuration file found.
- Confirm and return to the main menu by selecting the top of each menu.
- Choose "Restart PC".
Once the operations have been completed and your computer restarts, you will find your Grub as it was before.
Restore MBR back to Windows
Perform the following before you format the GNU/Linux partition:
- From the main menu for Super Grub Disk, select "Windows".
- Then select "Fix Windows startup".
- A message will warn you that rewriting MBR is not a safe operation, the same warnings are given from a recovery CD of Windows when introducing the command:
- Then select your operating system Windows in the list.
- Then select the disk in which MBR will be restored.
- Operations continue after validation and MBR is restored successfully.
- Navigate to the main menu by following the top of each menu.
- And restart your PC.
Once the operations have been completed and your computer rebooted, Grub has disappeared leaving a conventional Windows startup.
This document, titled « Super Grub disk Live CD », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM